selling iphone 5 and buying new 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

I'm sure many of you have done this. what im thinking of doing is using upgrade for iphone5 and selling it. they are going from $800-1100. and then buying new 4s. they are around $450. I'm not sure of how easy this is to do and what i need to know ahead of time. I'm verizon so i need a verizon 4s. but do i open the 5 or just leave it in box?

a 5 is probably better but the difference in money and the fact that i am new to smartphones will make pretty much any phone seem awesome to me.

any help would be great...thanks.

----------

also, is it worth the trouble? i am hesitant since i have never bought or sold cell phone on ebay.

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

How difficult is it? Buy the iPhone 5, don't open it and sell it. Buy the 4S and use it. Spend the extra on beer.

3. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

so dont open or do anything with it? what if buyer gets it and claims its scuffed? Also, same goes for the 4S i buy. what if something is wrong. can i deal with verizon or apple?

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The phone comes with a 1 year warranty so if there issues, the buyer should deal with apple and not you. Just make sure you activate the phone first before selling it. Otherwise the buyer would not be able to use it. When you sell it, just mention that it is brand new and only opened to activate and that the stickers haven't been removed yet.

5. Givmeabrek, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Exactly, you have to open it!! It is tied to your account and you have to activate it otherwise the buyer will not be able to use it without your personal info. You can switch service over to any other phone once it is activated.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

What others said, open it to activate it. In your Craigslist posting just mention you only opened it to activate the phone

7. Sjf73 macrumors member

Do let us know if you need any help deciding which beer to buy with your change too.

8. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for this info. if i get from it from verizon, do i just tell them not to open it? that i will do it myself?

anybody else do this? how does selling on ebay and craigslist work. how much will i pay to sell it?

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Verizon doesn't open the phone box for you. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just buy the i5, then sell it. After that just buy the 4S.

10. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

one more thing. is the iphone 5 unlocked and able to use on all networks? i am on verizon so can anyone buy it and use on there network, or just verizon?

thanks again for all your help.

11. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

If you have Verizon and you upgrade, you have to at least open to get your sim card out of the phone, since that is tied to your account. Or if you want just open it when you do the sale. Ebay will charge you a fee to sell your item. It depends on how much your item sells for. Craigslist there isn't a charge, if you do any sales on craigslist and are looking for a lot of $. Id advise in bringing an extra person and doing it in a public place. If you're worried about the scuffs then just sell it via Craigslist since on eBay the can dispute it.

12. Ran7 macrumors regular

no! Neither. Dont open sprint or verizon phones. nothing is permanently tied to your account. you just call and say you sold it. An open box iphone 5 is worth considerably less.
    I got a $100and a $75 premium on my 32 GB sprints but the premiums are not as high now.
    look at the running average of ebay sales. Look at completed sales. and most importantly look at completed sales of buyers that at least 50 ratings. the average of the latter is what you can expect.

those $1000 sales are sellers who 60 days from now will get a chargeback and lose the funds plus fees, plus aggravation, and get back an open possibly scratched phone, or empty box, and are going to learn that paypal sides with buyers.

the biggest scams on ebay are against iphone sellers. do NOT think people showing $100 sales are winners. Most are victims who just dont know it yet.

If you are not an expert ebayer, I would use craigslist. meet in your carrier store -- and do not open the box. have the money in your hand before you do

----------

WTF are you talking about? you are 100% wrong.

13. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

see i have heard conflicting information. open the box or not? its about $50 to sell on ebay for $1000. this is why i was afraid to try this. if i mess it up, i will be out of alot of money.

i have never sold a thing on craigslist or ebay. bought alot on ebay but never sold.

14. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Just do craigslist. That way they can open it, look at and possibly activate it. And you won't have to worry about any charge backs. Just bring an extra person and do it a vzw store. That way everything can be done there.

15. darster Suspended

Please don't let your first experience with a smartphone be on verizon's 3G network. Uggg. Go LTE.

16. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

everything seems fast when you are coming from a feature phone. my wife has a 4 so i know a little bit about the speed. i wish there was an easier way to do this but seems like it makes the most sense to take advantage of upgrade while trying to make a little money.

already bought a case for the 5 before i thought about selling. poetic atmostphere and it is really nice for a cheap case.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then perhaps you first experience shouldn't involve a thousand dollar piece of equipment tied to your personal information. :cool:

18. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

good point. worst case scenario i just keep it and love it. i would prefer to sell but will see.

19. czar44 macrumors member

I have enough ebay experience to say that it's work to do this. You'll pay a fee to eBay, a fee to PayPal. And if you're new to the game, PayPal/eBay hold funds. Plus, you have no guarantee someone will buy it. I just sold mine for nearly $1000 but the buyer has not paid. Sellers have little recourse other than to report and relist.

If you live in an LTE area, keep your iPhone5 and enjoy it. And then when the next upgrade is available, think about making some money back then. If you subtract the difference you'd pay for the upgrade for the iPhone 5 compared from what you'll actually pay for the 4S, subtract the fees, aggravation, etc., and if you got $900 for your 5, how much further ahead would you be? With an older handset. That will be worth less when your next upgrade becomes available. Plus, you could get scammed either on CL or eBay and then be out a lot. Worth it?

----------

F/U:

Here are the numbers (and I think these are best case):
    Sell at $900
    Subtract what you paid - $200 plus tax and upgrade fee ~$250
    Subtract $400 for new 4S
    Subtract eBay and PP fees and shipping of ~$60
    Left: $900-$710 = $190

I think you're more likely to be closer to $150 when all is said and done.

Really worth it? You'll make some or most that up when you sell the 5 in the next round.

20. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah. that is what i am weighing. not that confident in this process. Craigslist would be nice but a risk i may die during the transaction. I do live in LTE area but I wont notice the speed much. spend $230 for iphone 5 or get about $300 and 4S.

21. czar44 macrumors member

I think your $300 is a pretty high figure. I think you'll net 1/2 that. See math above.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If he's actually buying a new 4S from apple the contract free ones are $549 plus tax which gets rid of most if not all of the profit. Of course he may be trying to buy one that's advertised as new on ebay for cheaper, but then you run all of the risks associated with that. OP, your plan doesn't seem like it is really worth the hassle and risk involved in it.

23. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

i really do appreciate all of your advice and help. this helps me alot to understand whether or not to even try this. starting to sound less and less appealing, also when i take the 5 out of the box, it will be hard to part with. I may just try to see if anyone is interested at my work through their classifieds. its a huge company and lots of eyes and very safe. just doubt there are alot of people looking to spend that much.

worst case, i keep it. which was my original plan. it looks awesome. i'm almost intimidated since i feel like i have to take such good care of it.

thanks for all the input. i will update if i do sell. probably will only do it if its a transaction through work or something.

24. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

can my verizon iphone 5 be used on another carrier or only verizon?

25. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Dude...making money is difficult. Not hard, certainly not impossible...but YOU have to put effort into it. Spend the time looking for a better paying job. Buying/Selling merchandise online these days is best left to the pros. Selling a year or 18 month old phone on Craigslist is entirely different. Little to no risk and you can do it locally. Don't buy a new iPhone thinking you're gonna get rich. Others have outlined the facts, the math...and indisputable data has been given to ya---buy the phone and as you said...'Be Happy'. Sell it in a year or two. Recover your entry fee from this time around and buy the latest/greatest.

Money doesn't grow on trees. It's difficult to make, easy to spend. Your proposition is silly, especially considering you're a self admitted rookie. You're lookin' to get burned

J