Selling iPhone 5 on eBay soon.. should I put iOS 8 on it or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reminisce32, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Selling iPhone 5 on eBay soon.. should I put iOS 8 on it or not? Any reason to think the listing would gain more interest with iOS 8 or should I not bother?

Thanks.

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Leave it on 7 then give the buyer the choice. When 7 came out, dudes where buying older models just to get 6!

3. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

True---good point. Thanks for the advice.

4. gochi macrumors 6502

i thought software doesn't effect apple products? its only the hardware

5. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Trust me, leave it on iOS 7. If your iPhone is "jailbreakable" or "jailbroken", that will boost your resale a lot.

I know someone who paid about $80 extra to get a 5S 16GB that was jailbroken.

If the buyer asks for iOS 8 after the sale then put it on there for him, but I have one piece of advice.

Put Signature Required on that package. If not the buyer can do a chargeback, and since his/her credit card will just want money, typically the buyer wins. No joke google it, PayPal Chargeback fraud.

If you have signature required, then you have signed proof the buyer received the device. It costs a extra $2 but you really should get it.

PS: USPS Insurance is a waste, Fedex and UPS pay out, but in the past I made a claim with USPS, I called weekly to check the claim status, etc. Long story short: Never got a dime back. Hope all this extra info helps! I went off topic, but I felt you should be aware, just as people say be careful on Craigslist, be careful with eBay and get Signature Required for ANY electronic you sell.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

It may not affect resale value, but it is a courtesy that can help with a sale. It is easy to upgrade to iOS 8. It isn't so easy to get it back to iOS 7.

7. odedo1 macrumors newbie

it's a fact, even I would pay extra for a iOS that can be jail broken, That's why I'm not upgrading my 64GB 5S and both 128GB 3G/LTE iPad Airs I own that will be on sell soon.

8. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Honestly I would buy an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 than iOS 7 or 8 because I like the older icons and it was a little bit more accessible to jailbreak tweaks.

To the OP, when selling, leave your phone on its current firmware, the buyer should have a choice for if s/he wants to update. Make sure to have an accurate listing, and do what the previous poster said and get signature delivery. If it costs more, include that price in the shipping cost. When listing, target a price for $200 to $250 if it has some small minor scratches, and if it is in pristine condition then list for $250-$325. List for a higher price if it has more storage. And most importantly, do not give out your IMEI or ESN, Instead show a screenshot of Swappa.com's ESN tool to prove your iPhone is clean and ready to activate.

Good luck :)

9. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

I wish I would have thought of that before I upgraded mine yesterday.

I'm curious, do you just setup your new phone from scratch?

I thought the backup has to be from the same iOS version to restore you new phone as the old.

10. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

So if they sign for the package they can't do the Chargeback fraud? How is that the case?

So what's the best option to ship? USPS without insurance of Fedex or UPS?

11. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

USPS without insurance but with Signature Required is usually $7-$10 depending on weight.

Fedex and UPS will cost $12+ but you can get insurance and signature required fairly cheap, and UPS and Fedex have paid claims in the past for me.

As far as chargeback fraud, you can still easily lose, as most banks just want money, take it from PayPal, and then PayPal's only option is to take the money from you, the seller.

The signature required just makes it so the buyer can't claim item not received, as you have his/her signature on the package.

The buyer could still claim item is damaged etc, but then he'd have to return it to you.

Hope this helps!

12. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Ah ok. This is why I list on eBay with a requirement of 100% feedback and at least 25 feedback score. This, I think, makes it much less probable of dealing with a scammer.

13. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Well it is okay. I recommend you consider Swappa as well. It's like eBay but they only charge a $10 seller fee, unlike eBay's 10% (that's $30 out of $300). Another benefit is if the buyer opens a dispute for whatever reason, they'll actually help you with the process.

Like one time the unlock didn't work on a Samsung phone I sold, because the buyer updated the Android version, thus removing the software unlock (like when people update iOS losing UltraSn0w).

Instead of admitting to his mistake, he opened a PayPal dispute claiming 'Internal Damages".

Swappa helped me out with it. Unlike eBay who typically goes: "We're investing the case but we found the buyer to be in favor."

Well to be honest use whichever you prefer, but I use eBay mostly for selling books and video games.

14. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

I thought about going with Swappa, but went with eBay because I figured if I can limit the customers to those with high feedback ratings, things might go smoother. I'll switch to Swappa if you really think they could help mitigate fraud better.

Do you think enough people use Swappa for me to get close to eBay's regular selling prices (even after fees)?

15. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Well to give you a idea, go to Swappa and look up vampire5003: http://swappa.com/user/RQY378/profile

I got $255 for my LG G2, which is more or less what they're selling for at eBay except I didn't pay $25.50 in seller fees ;).

I don't want the mods to think I'm a bot or spammer, so I'll end my praise for Swappa here, but if you have any other questions, send a PM my way. I love talking about phones and tech :D.