Selling iphone 5..?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlitheone, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Someone is going to buy my 16gb for 725$

Is that a reasonable sale price for me? If the sale goes through and such.

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Why not for more? It's not like anyone can randomly walk into an Apple store and grab one. Sell it for $800. That's a $150 increase in price without any tax and activation fee.

3. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried. I've gotten 725 as the max price anyone on Craigslist would offer, people are cheap.

4. GyroFX macrumors 6502

a friend just sold his 16gig white unlocked for over 1000 on ebay

5. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I decided I wanted a white one so I sold my black 64gb one that I used for 5 days for $1100 on Gumtree (I think that's our version of Craigslist). The outright price here for that model is $999 inc taxes. I could have gotten more and had higher offers ($1175) but I couldn't be bothered holding out anymore and some people were a bit 'iffy'.
    My eBay auction was up to around that amount before I cancelled the listing.

7. GyroFX macrumors 6502

the one sold for over 1000 was opened too and unlocked via an unlock like unlock_fusion

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

IMEI unlock it and sell it for a lot more. If you don't trust the ebay unlockers, then do it through applenberry as you'll more than recoup the $49.99 anyway.

eBay might be a better option in this situation, as the bidding war will drive up the price (which will cover the fees) and be easier to sell compared to CL.

9. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright sounds good but isn't verizon unlocked anyways

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then that's different. Verizon iPhones aren't as sought after as unlocked GSM (at&t) ones. Should have mentioned that in the OP.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I sold a White 16 Verizon that was used for a week (but immaculate in every way) for $810 without a sim card.

Also sold a Black 32 Verizon for $1000 (factory wrapped in plastic).

Just as a guidance for the market as of now, which will change soon once stores get stock.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Supports up to H+ on other GSM networks. Also considering the LTE band limits on the AT&T one, the Verizon is a much better buy for an unlocked phone.

13. m0no macrumors regular

Why? I think the Verizon is definitely the better of the two especially for use outside of the US.

14. voyaflexel macrumors newbie

voyaflexel

I would buy maybe, but i use only 32 - 64gb and my country doesn't sell unlocked iPhone 5's yet… So just gonna wait.

15. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

Dude it's an iPhone 5 sell it for 1200 nothing less.

16. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Sell it for $725 and call it a day. Prices are very unstable atm so you can expect it to drop every week until it stabilizes

17. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I feel like people are going to tell him to hold out until eventually the price drops, and he gets less than what he wants.

18. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

This.

Prices can and will change quickly. When the very first iPhone came out the prices people were paying on eBay dropped dramatically within a day's time. As soon as supply starts to catch up to demand (even in the least) prices will come down.

If you can sell it now and make a little money on it I would do it. If you wait you're gambling.

19. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

True. I don't even really want to sell it too badly. But I could put a little cash in and get a 32gb probably.

20. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Well if you're not hell bent on selling it, I wouldn't do it unless it makes sense. I mean assuming you're going to have to pay full price for another one you'll need almost $800 out the door for the 32gb model. So if you can get that much for your 16gb one it makes total sense. Otherwise, (again assuming you got the first one on subsidy discount) you are pretty much breaking even if you have to put cash in to upgrade to the 32.

21. czar44 macrumors member

I listed my unlocked, new AT&T iPhone 5, 32gb, still wrapped in box, on Craigslist or $1100 and eBay for $0.99. People on Craigslist offered me in the $800-$900 range. Sold on eBay for about $980. But the high bidder never paid. So I still have the phone and no $$. It's being shipped back to AT&T this week as its not worth dealing with.

Figure that new it's $649. You got to use if and make $75. Not a bad deal. One in the hand...

22. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

capitalism at its greatest.

Lets all buy something we dont want and drive down stock for the people who do so we can sell it at a profit.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depending on the state you're in usually a full price 16GB iphone after taxes is around $700. So you're really just making $25-30 in profit.
    Up to you but you could bring in more. I would go for around $800.

24. Garrett67 macrumors regular

This may seem like a dumb question, but could I sell my new iPhone and then go buy another phone from Verizon?

Or will they wonder where my iPhone went?

Also, if I do this what do I need to do?Do I just remove the Sim card and reset the phone or are there other things I need to do?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but the next iPhone will not qualify for a subsidy till a few years later.
    To get a other iPhone you will have to pay full price.