Selling iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbronfman, Oct 6, 2014.

1. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I've been checking out the prices on various resellers and there's a wide range of what they'll give me for my phone. The highest is Amazon with a range of $380 to $419 depending if the phone is in good or as new condition. As this quote is more than &100 higher than everyone else, I'm suspicious. Does anyone here have any experience with Amazon Marketplace quotes? I've locked it in but before I send off the phone I wanted to check with you all here.

Yes I know there is eBay or Craig's List but I don't want the hassles, fraud etc others have had. I'm also in process for an unlock code at AT&T.

2. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I don't see the problem with Craigslist. I listed my 64GB 5s for $475, he offered $450, I accepted... we met at the Verizon store where they confirmed the phone was ok. I had all the paperwork as the original owner and he paid cash.

I most certainly would not be meeting anyone in a Walmart parking lot on Saturday night to sell the phone, but if you set it up right Craigslist is fine... and you avoid the fees that are Ebay and Paypal.

3. TwoBayDude macrumors newbie

Sold mine for $400 on Craigslist with no problem.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Craigslist works pretty well but you will get a lot of scammers that want you to send them your PayPal address and then mail the phone somewhere. DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Meeting someone in person during the day in a public place and asking for cash only is the best method. Also set yourself up with a "Burner" phone number. It's a temporary phone number so once the transaction is done, you can trash it. There is an app called "Burner" that works pretty well.

5. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Craigslist list fine for selling older phones and as was mentioned above you will avoid eBay/PayPal fees.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm not sure whether Amazon is one of the companies who pulls the bait-and-switch of quoting you high and then reducing the price due to "condition" upon receiving it. But at $419 I'd say go for it. That's comparable to what you would get from someone on Craigslist.

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Sold my 5S to Gazelle a while back. Real easy after setting up an account, and the money came in fast (About a week after they received the phone and checked it out). They are rated very highly

https://www.gazelle.com/trade-in

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Their current prices are ****ing stupid IMO.

16gb AT&T iPhone 5s in flawless condition = $225 :rolleyes:

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No kidding. Talk about a low ball.

10. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Sent to Amazon for a gift card worth 312.00 iPhone 5s Space Gray 16gb AT&T. Excellent condition. Waiting for it to get there. We shall see, but have always sold mine on CL. Put it on there for 4 days no bites...decided to try Amazon.