Selling iPhone - need guidance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyler23, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hi everyone, just two quick questions about selling an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.

1) For wiping the phone (and turning off activation lock), what do I need to do? Do I just turn off Find My iPhone, log out of all accounts, and erase all contents and settings? (Might not be able to stop home first to restore the phone).

2) It's a Verizon phone - what would I need to do to disassociate the phone with my account. Just take out the SIM card? And then put it in my new phone?

Thanks all in advance for the help! I've done some searching but in a hurry and can't find the exact answers. :D

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

To wipe the phone, all you need to do is erase all contents and settings. That's it. That will turn off FmI, and log out of all your accounts. It's a factory reset, in essence.

Yep - take out the sim card, and pop it in your new phone. If that doesn't work 100%, call verizon, they'll sort you out!.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct on #1. Technically, Find My iPhone and activation lock are turned off when you erase all content and settings (now requires you to enter Apple ID), but I make it a habit of manually unlinking all Apple accounts (including iMessage, FaceTime, etc.) before erasing. There have been bugs of them still linking in the past in older iOS and there's always the risk of re-introducing those bugs each time we get a new iOS version/update.

Always keep your SIM card when selling the iPhone.

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks to both of you for your help. One last question.

Should I remove the SIM before erasing all content and settings or after? Does it matter?

5. Mr.Mischief macrumors newbie

It won't make a difference. I've done it both ways.

6. nparmelee macrumors 6502

You might also want to look at what apps you use and if any registered the phone with them (Audible for example), unregister/de-activate your phone with that app to make it easier to activate a future device.

7. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hmm, well I don't have Audible, and as far as I know no other apps are set up like that. Never had an issue with selling my 4S and moving to the 5.

Thanks everyone that's responded so far for your advice. Sounds like it should be pretty simple!

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you've done it before, what's the reason for your OP?

9. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because when I sold the 4S, there was no such thing as activation lock, nor did the Verizon 4S have a SIM card. Neither thing I asked about applied at that time.

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

With iOS 7, it became trickier. More safeguards in place now.

I'd also log out of everything Apple just for your own peace of mind. You want a smooth exit. :)