Selling locked iPhone 4 32gb on ebay - sell as is or unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woodywyatt, Nov 26, 2011.

1. woodywyatt macrumors newbie

I'm considering selling my iPhone 4 32GB (iOS 5) on eBay it's in immaculate condition as I've only had it for a few months. I'm based in Spain so it's locked to the Vodafone Spain network (still under contract with them). Would I get a better price if I jailbreak the phone and unlock it or leave locked to Vodafone?

If the phone sells would it be advisable to send copy of contract & guarantee with the phone?

I'll probably have to sell on eBay Spain.

2. ckc macrumors regular

As you would get a better price for it if it was offically unlocked it may be worth checking the policy of Vodafone in Spain.

In the UK Vodafone will unlock an iPhone FOC as long as the phon'es IMEI number appears as active on their network.

3. woodywyatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the swift reply. I'll check with them but I think you may need to have been on the contract for 12 months before they officially unlock it.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sell it as is but specify the baseband so the buyer can determine whether they can jb/unlock.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you upgraded to IOS with out preserving the baseband from 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 or baseband 1.59 you can not unlock you iPhone via jailbreaking and unlocking period. it's not that simple sorry.. you will get more money with a unlocked phone no doubt.. contacting your carrier is the best and only way!

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

You will probably get more money if it's genuinely unlocked, not jailbreak unlocked carrier, think of it like if the new buyer gets it and has no idea how to jailbreak and unlock it for him/herself, that person is gonna end up with a locked phone that she cannot use when he or she restores it.

Would definitely not sell it jailbreaked just because of that.

7. woodywyatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Been checking on eBay Spain and it seems most people are selling them still locked to Vodafone. Looks like I'll have to try that route..

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

To answer your second question, I definitely would NOT send a copy of the contract and guarantee with the iPhone when you send it out. The buyer won't need this to get the phone replaced if something should go wrong with it anyways...

9. woodywyatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, great. Many thanks for your help :)