selling MBP, cleaning it out, how was MS Office work for the next owner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eggtastic, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am selling my late 06' MBP. Obviously I am going to wipe the HD so I can pass it on to the next owner as a clean slate. I want to offer them the MS office 2004 (i know old) as an incentive because I am done college and I have a friend with a code for a newer version.

If I wipe the HD, then that means MS office goes, and if the customer tries to type in the code to the MS office when putting it back on the MBP, will it not work because it has already been registered and used?

Help appreciated, thank you.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you still have the disks for 04 and the code, it should work fine.

3. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

first, wow bad spelling on my title.

second, thanks for the reply, but when i used the code back when i first got the computer, doesn't that get sent to microsoft so that the code cannot be used again?

4. macman312 macrumors 6502

try to uninstall first then it should reset the code

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Most MS codes allow 2 or 3 installs. Installing over again on the same hardware shouldn't use up one of your codes. I'd check with MS before you uninstall or wipe the system to find out. Some programs want you to "deauthorize" old copies before installing somewhere else. I've been burned by this when machines died or I forgot to deauthorize before attempting to install someplace else.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

My understanding was that Office 2004 didn't use online activation, though it did check for other computers on the network using the same code. It won't give you any trouble reinstalling it and reusing the same code.

jW