Selling MBP on Craigslist, OK to Give out Serial #?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsa420, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I am going back and forth with a potential buyer on Craigslist presenetly, actually seems to be a legit buyer willing to pay cash. He is asking to verify the serial number, is there any reason I should be concerned about giving that out prior to sale?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No not really. I'd check to check item legitimacy, warranty, etc.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If he/she is a potential buyer, why not. If I was a buyer, that would be one of the first questions I would ask, just to make sure it's under warranty. Or you can take a screenshot of your warranty page and blur the serial.

4. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out he was just wanting to verify that production model which is an easy one to prove considering that I am selling the latest model MBP. The exsistance of the SD card slot put that one to bed pretty quick.

Also, any idea where I can get one of those pens to test the validity of the cash? Is the pen deal the best method?

5. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You can always do the trade in a bank. I am sure a local bank will not mind.

7. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I got one of those pens at staples for like $6...i sell a lot of stuff on CL and have used it several times...it's nice to have a little extra peace of mind.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've done large cash transactions ($3000+) on craigslist and whenever 100's are involved (they most always are) I always use the Pen + UV method. The pen can be easily faked but the UV is a pretty good indicator, especially for bill washing numbnuts (why is my 100 glowing blue?) At office depot they have then pen + keychain uv combo which is good to have around.