Selling my 4. Anything I need to know before Resetting it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Oct 19, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have my iPhone 5 and I am selling my 4 today. I am pretty confident that I have all my content from the 4. I recorded my old VM onto the voice memo on my 5. Unfortunately AT&T does not transfer VM. So I think that was the only thing I had that did not transfer over. I have my 4 backed up from when I activated my 5. I assume iTunes keeps this information? Now my backups are with the new phone, but just incase, I still have the 4 backup as long as I don't sync it once it's reset, right?

I have never had to erase my content before, so it makes me a little nervous, but I'm sure it will work ok. I am actually getting my 5 replaced because the Home button has not responded on a few occasions, so Apple was quick to replace it. They are sending one out.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

So long as you erase the phone using "Erase All Content and Settings" and remove your SIM, you should be fine.

3. iosuser macrumors 6502a

If you're on iOS 6 then doing the reset and erase all will do it. But, if you're on 5.1.1 and jailbroken, then doing erase all can get the phone stuck, in which case you'd have to restore and you might end up having to upgrade to iOS 6. So beware if you advertised your phone as having 5.1.1 and jailbroken.

4. escape1974 macrumors member

Agreed. That's what I've done on all my past sales.

5. bluerocka macrumors newbie

uh oh... i just sold my 4 and forgot to remove my SIM... it was deactivated and nothing was on it. can anything happen? :(

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

7. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I never updated to iOS6. Didn't see the need since I had the 5 coming. The phone is not jailbroken. I never thought about removing the SIM, but is it really necessary? I think the person buying it is going with T-mobile and I had AT&T. He is getting a new SIM, so I assume they just throw away the one that's in there? Is there something I need to worry about if I leave it in the phone?

8. iosuser macrumors 6502a

If your phone was never jailbroken then you can do reset and erase all with no problem and your iOS version will be preserved. Definitely leave it on 5.1.1 as some people prefer it.

I've always removed my SIM card selling my phone, but once it's deactivated from your account when you activated your new phone, I don't think there's much can be done with your old SIM.

9. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, it's done. I reset it. I can't believe how attached we get to these phones :roll eyes:

I removed my SIM, so I don't have to worry either way. Let him get his own from T-mobile and all is good. I think he really appreciates the phone and hopefully takes as good care of it ad I did. It's in pristine condition and I gave him my extra Power Support screen protector. I kept all the power adapters for my iPad. I think my ex took my iPad Plug/USB. I only have 1 adapter/USB plug for the power outlet. Then I have 1 USB cord for my laptop.

Anyway...$100 later and I was able to sell my phone to someone who had no phone at all. Next I have to donate my old stock pile :)