Selling my iPhone 6 today, Watch will run solo for a week. Will Health data be stored?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by adamjackson, Sep 16, 2015.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I meet a guy today to sell my iPhone 6 for $600. Not a bad deal on a one year old phone. I'll pay Verizon's ETF and then go to the same store in a week to camp out for the iPhone 6S. That means my Apple Watch will be without any link for 9 days. Shame it won't connect to my iPad for the time being.

Anyway, I was going to just put the Apple Watch in Airplane mode so health and motion are still captured but my battery doesn't die searching for the iPhone

Question:

Will the watch capture health data and sync it to my new iPhone once it's restored from iCloud backup? How much data will be stored? Do you think the watch can save a week of my movements and heart rated? I'd like all of it to be synced to Health.app but I don't know how far back the watch will wait for an iPhone to sync with?

Thanks.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The watch would store the data and send it to your phone after a week but the problem is it will not see your phone again. When you setup with the new phone, you will have to pair the watch like you did the first time with your current phone. This means several things. You will want to un-pair the watch now so that it makes a backup of your current health data then do your encrypted phone backup into iTunes. The watch will do nothing for the next bit while you wait on your new phone so you lose the data for the time between or you wear your watch to tell the time and lose your data when you get your new phone. The difference is your history from today back. You will lose what happens between phones either way.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I also would remind everyone that they MUST do an Encrypted Backup when doing their backup or their health data will not be included.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Caution:

NO, this will NOT work. When you pair the :apple:Watch to the new iPhone you will lose ALL data. Pairing is a TOTAL data wipe for the :apple:Watch. All Health/Fitness data (all :apple:Watch data) since your last iPhone backup will be lost. You WILL lose 9 days worth (or to your last backup).

5. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

6. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

Final question: With the Apple Watch Unpaired, that basically means I won't have my basic watch functions either then? Will it still keep time if unpaired? I'm going to guess no and I basically just can't wear the watch for a full week.

7. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Nope, it'll be stuck at the select language screen. The watch can't even be used to keep time without a paired iPhone. You should just place it in a drawer for the next week as you can't do anything without pairing it to a iPhone.

8. CobraPA macrumors 6502

well, you don't have to unpair it to make a backup...

If you backup the phone to itunes or icloud, the watch backup is stored as well.

I would leave it paired so you can wear it for the week. You'll need to reset it and re-pair it when you get a new phone though. Nice thing is you can still imessage on it during the week, since that can be done over wifi without a phone (although you'll only be able to do simple responses.)

Well, the watch won't update time if you change time zones or something, but it most certainly 'keeps time' when the iphone isn't attached... Try out airplane mode.