Selling my laptop on craiglists, can this one email be trusted?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anamznazn, Oct 16, 2008.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I replied back to the lady saying that the laptop is still for sale. I was wondering if you guys would trust this lady, considering she's not local and I have to ship the laptop out myself. The thing I'm concerned about is the PayPal payment. I've used paypal plenty of times before, but I'm just worried something might go wrong later on and I'll end up losing money. What do you think?

Here's the email.

2. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Hmm, they are buying for someone else, offering to pay $100 for shipping and they want it shipped out of the country. I'd avoid it.

Don't even bother replying to them because then they have your real email for further spamming. Right now they have only the relay address via Craigslist.

3. phas3 macrumors 65816

it doens't seem bad, your going through paypal, if you want a better way do it through western union if he agrees get the money and then ship it. Or wait till you get the money through paypal transfer it to your bank account so they can't retract the payment

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

thats a british scam. I have gotten the same email. NOT to be trusted.

5. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

6. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Selling my laptop on craiglists, can this one email be trusted?

NO

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

When dealing on craigslist only meet in person. That's the best solution.

8. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This is definitely a scam.
    I advertise on Craigslist for two automotive dealerships and I receive quite a few of these emails. Do not trust them at all.
    Usually a scammer doesn't state what the item you are selling is.
    Don't reply back. :)

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If you think getting a PayPal payment is any safer than accepting a personal check, you're a scammer's dream come true.

10. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The point of Craigslist is to make local sales. Why would anybody from another city be browsing listings in your city? There's ebay for that or they can just go on their local listings.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with all of the other posters. This is a scam and avoid like the proverbial plague. Anyone who wants to buy an Apple computer will hardly likely refer to "the products your selling", they will be interested in a MB/MBP or whatever the specific Mac actually is; you are selling a computer, not several. Besides, spelling and grammatical mistakes on emails which purport to buy - or sell - make me profoundly suspicious. The distance involved also makes me uneasy. The other posters are absolutely right. Use such sites for local buying/selling only, and for buying/selling in person.
    Don't touch it with a bargepole, and above all, do not sell your computer to this person.
    Cheers

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It almost seems reasonable until they really start pushing PayPal on you. It just doesn't read like a genuine person. Avoid!

13. idyll macrumors 6502

No, especially since they want you to ship out of the country.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

and in a public place like a coffee shop or something. don't go directly to a persons house.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

16. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I'm just going to point out that if you ask yourself the question if such and such is legitimate, then it most likely isn't.

17. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

yeah, definitely a scam. Craigslist sales are meant to be local and in person, so asking you to ship it (Especially out of the country) is a big give away. and the email just reads as a scam email, the way its worded and how non-specific it is.

I bought my laptop from someone off craigslist, and I talked to them on the phone before meeting them at a starbucks to actually buy the computer from them. That seems to be the safest way to go about it.

18. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

yes scam, do not even reply. With c/l always meet in a public place during the day.