selling my late 09 Imac and guy asks is this a significant upgrade over my G5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by solchitlins, Aug 7, 2012.

1. solchitlins macrumors regular

I'm in the position of selling it again. The buyer wants to know if it is a significant upgrade to his current g5 imac?

His:
    Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: iMac G5
    Model Identifier: PowerMac12,1
    Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
    Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 700 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

Mine:
    "21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory "mine is 8"
    500GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVDÃÆ'‚±R DL/DVDÃÆ'‚±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

Features:
    / 3.06GHz Intel Dual Core Processor
    / 500GB Hard Drive, DVD SuperDrive, 8GB! 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, plus room for much more!
    / 21.5" LED-backlit display with a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080 HD resolution, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    / Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, includes new wireless Magic Mouse

I want to be honest and feel right about the deal and I know squat about g5's

btw I am asking $650, is that fair, too high? about right?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. solchitlins thread starter macrumors regular

that benchmark site is helpful, those others are garbage though, that's what they will buy them for sight un-seen, probably at a 30% cost factor, meaning they pay about $300 and resell for about $900.

At least in my market those prices are about 1/3 what I see daily on craigslst

4. nanosour macrumors member

Absolutely, positively no comparison between the two computers. I started my mac journey on a 2005 G5....junk compared to my 2009 iMac.

JMO...don't hate!

5. solchitlins thread starter macrumors regular

this what I told him:

I think my Imac, while not the latest and greatest is still very modern and is very much a significant upgrade over yours.
    I don't want to pretend like I know everything about hardware but on first glance mine has more cores, way more memory, faster speed etc...

But it really depends on what your doing, if you will feel a significant increase in speed or processing etc.. I bet mine boots up a lot faster, and runs programs a lot faster and my operating system is faster etc.. but if all your doing is surfing the Internet or something there are other factors.

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

You might also mention that a lot of software is moving away from PowerPC support...so, most newer software might not run at all on his Mac, and if he uses software that works now, there is no guarantee that he will have support for future upgrades.

And, yes, it is a significant upgrade.