Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Some offered me 650 for my iPhone 4s today and I thought about doing it and then purchasing an unlocked one from at&t. My one question is can I transfer my applecare plus to the unlocked version?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Some offered me 650 for my iPhone 4s today and I thought about doing it and then ourchasing

I recently did this. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case. I sold my AT&T iPhone 4s and got a nice chunk for it so this wasn't an issue. I purchased the 32GB unlocked 4s at the Apple store and couldn't be happier. The main reason I did it was because the resale value will be significantly higher. Not to mention when I leave the country I can pop in any sim instead of the ones AT&T wants me to use.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I recently did this. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case. I sold my AT&T iPhone 4s and got a nice chunk for it so this wasn't an issue. I purchased the 32GB unlocked 4s at the Apple store and couldn't be happier. The main reason I did it was because the resale value will be significantly higher. Not to mention when I leave the country I can pop in any sim instead of the ones AT&T wants me to use.
Sorry I wasnt done and I had to edit my post. But yeah im going to sell it and do this. Im going to DR twice this year. My only question is the one about my applecare plus. I dont mind buying it again but I rather not.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Sorry I wasnt done and I had to edit my post. But yeah im going to sell it and do this. Im going to DR twice this year. My only question is the one about my applecare plus. I dont mind buying it again but I rather not.

Transfer it over from your current 4s to the unlocked one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wait a sec., even if you buy a GSM phone from ATT, that is one locked to them, you can't take it abroad and simply slip in a sim card from that country and use it? It has to be unlocked from the start first? Or unlocked by ATT?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wait a sec., even if you buy a GSM phone from ATT, that is one locked to them, you can't take it abroad and simply slip in a sim card from that country and use it? It has to be unlocked from the start first? Or unlocked by ATT?

The jury is out on that one. I think people are simply recommending going through Apple since that is known to work.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The jury is out on that one. I think people are simply recommending going through Apple since that is known to work.

I see. So signing with ATT or Veriz at an Apple store means the phone will be unlocked? So, if say, after two years with ATT, I can bring that iPhone overseas and use it there without having to get ATT to unlock it for me?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I see. So signing with ATT or Veriz at an Apple store means the phone will be unlocked? So, if say, after two years with ATT, I can bring that iPhone overseas and use it there without having to get ATT to unlock it for me?

No.
Only buying it for full price from apple with no contract will mean it will be unlocked.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. I guess people mean buying it retail price at Apple to ensure it's unlocked.

I understand now.

Signing with ATT will leave you locked forever (unless they change their terms). Signing with Verizon you can be unlocked for overseas carriers. If you are picking a carrier for going overseas a few times a year, Verizon (or Sprint) is the better choice for this reason IMO.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Signing with ATT will leave you locked forever (unless they change their terms). Signing with Verizon you can be unlocked for overseas carriers. If you are picking a carrier for going overseas a few times a year, Verizon (or Sprint) is the better choice for this reason IMO.

But isn't Verizon CDMA only? Won't that mean SIM cards won't work overseas?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I see! Thanks so much for explaining.

Yes, what lord said above.
I think you have to be on Verizon or Sprint for some many months and your account in good standing and then they will unlock the GSM side of the phone for international use. It wont work in the US with any GSM carrier but outside of that it will accept any other international carriers sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.