Selling my Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz - Is $2900 price correctly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by <!DOCTYPE>, Sep 18, 2014.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I have the 2008 but I believe mine would cost $1200 at the best and I have the same Nvidia Quatro video card, 64 MB of ram and 9TB in internal drives.

Question... what improvement you had with the Nvidia? because I had none.

3. <!DOCTYPE> thread starter macrumors newbie

The performance in Photoshop was night and day. I was working with 500MB to 800MB files. After installing the card th Photoshop performance was much better. Make sure you have config Photoshop properly.

----------

Really...The Mac Pro has over $2800 of upgrades.

4. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

The price is a bit high and you may want to consider a lower buy now price. Considering your unit is Mint with good upgrades like the Sonnet Tempo Pro, high ram, maybe try selling it at $2k. If it's still doesn't sell try lowering it. Another option is, lower the price, but do not include the Sonnet Tempo, lower the ram to 32gig. For reference, there is another eBay seller with the same Mac Pro as yours selling it for $2295. His unit is pristine mint. From his history of make offer, he posted this around 8 months ago.http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-PRO-2-x...8514396?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2ecbd9585c

If you use this Mac Pro for your business, you may want to keep it and upgrade the CPUs to a 12 core and get a Nvidia 680GTX GPU and earn profits. Though I know you are happy with the 4000 Quadro. Good luck

5. <!DOCTYPE> thread starter macrumors newbie

Macsonic,

I did notice the auction where the Mac Pro has a buy now for 2,295.00. But that specific Mac Pro seems pretty OEM from the specs. The NVDIA 4000 card by itself is over $750

The only reason why I'm selling my MAC PRO is because I moved and my new apartment doesn't have the space. I need to sell it so I can buy a Macbook Pro. :(

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I wanted to use the card for After Effects, I may have to take a look at the configuration.

Regarding the Mac Pro... I decided mine would be more valuable as it is than the money worth by selling it. I have a 2011 iMac as well.

So, I have the Mac Pro at my job and it works as a server and as a hub because I can have multiple ports connected and I can still do some rendering even the new Mac Minis are as fast! So, I ended up keeping the computer.

Actually it is even better to keep it than getting a New Mac Pro, amy applications are not multi core and they do not take advantage of the video ram. So, in my case, for video editing I am fine.

It would be actually better to get a fully equipped iMac with 4GB of video ram now days.

7. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Yep I know the 4000 Quadro is around $750 though the used card is around $400. It's up to you if you want to sell it at the indicated buy now price. Though you have a starting bid price of $2k without any "Reserved Price" and there is a possibility the auction may end at the $2k price level. Thanks

8. gochi macrumors 6502

sell the card separate

you'll get more out of it, i still have mine that i still use.

9. Gav Mack, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I'd say the price is too high despite the awesome ram, most cheesegrater geeks will be looking to drop a pair of fast hex cores to max it out though with a 4,1 its a pita and patience needed to tighten those screws optimally with faster lidded Xeon CPU's which will cost 600 bucks for the pair. The 12 core upgrade with a pair of x5675 or even the x5690 which clock at 3.46ghz is a heck of a boost on single core over your stock 8's performance wise, they have much larger caches on the dies.

I will be buying a similar spec 5,1 twin quad to go twin hex hot rod helped with my all upgrades out of my 3,1 like the GTX 680, SSD's and USB 3 when I eventually retire my 3,1. Though I can't make my 3,1 struggle with 32gb of ram even now - and my old 3,1 still batters my maxed out 16gb/1tb ssd late 2011 in Photoshop cs6. No 32gb ram option till the next gen Broadwell mbp's later or even next year either.

If I had to move I wouldn't sell mine for anything - I'd make the space cos for my needs cos no mbp or even the new black can 6,1 does what I need my cheesegrater for!

10. <!DOCTYPE> thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I will take your advice and keep the Mac Pro. I will make the space some how and upgrade the cpu's.

11. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Good Move. Looking at economics, might be best to use the machine to earn profits. Upgrading also cost lesser compared to a few years back.