Selling my used 3G...contract/activation Qs for the next owner.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I would have thought this issue would be addressed 20x here, but a search yielded very little concrete info.

I secure erased my 3G to get it ready for sale. In my for sale ad, I said something to the effect of "if you want an iPhone 3G with no contract", this is your phone...

Now I'm wondering if that's impossible. I know AT&T is selling contract free phones, but will they honor a new activation without a contract? What if my buyer is not currently with AT&T? What if they are with AT&T?

Lastly, after wiping the phone, it needs to be activated. This makes it tricky to show someone from Craigslist that the phone indeed works. Without jailbreaking, is there any way to get to a home screen without activation?

gracias.

2. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

There is nothing wrong with your ad. Your 3g is being sold without a contract. What the buyer does with ATT in not you perogative.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

ha. if I ever get sued, I want you as my lawyer.

ok, all Lionel Hutz type answers aside, anyone know what can a buyer expect in order to use the phone with AT&T?

I'm no boy scout, I'm just trying to avoid 30 emails from the buyer asking me all kinds of questions about it after the sale.

4. thep33t macrumors regular

Able to use it with ATT - Yes

Able to use it without ATT - Not without unlocking the phone

5. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

right, got that.

able to use with AT&T without a contract...?

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just leave that line out of your ad. Everyone knows there is no contract on used phones.

I just sold my orginal iPhone last night and wiped it/removed the SIM before selling. The woman put her SIM in and then plugged it into iTunes. When it was recognized, she was happy and the deal was done.

7. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

He can use it on ATT without a contract.....if he already has ATT and is just switching phones......or he is using one of ATT prepaid services. Stop being paranoid.. thousands of Iphone 3gs are being sold on ebay every day.

Signed
    Bernie Madoff

8. thep33t macrumors regular

Contract? - Not like the one that comes with the phone, however, will still need to have a plan (and probabuly a $30) data plan too, and whatever contract might come from his plan (not sure if they offer month2month or not)..