Selling Old iPhone 4 W/ No SIM, iPhone 5 Activated, Selling Price, & Other Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Austin M., Jul 31, 2013.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

So, I've already searched through countless threads about selling an iPhone 4, price points, among other things, but I need some info in this own thread to make sure I'm doing this completely right, so here are my questions and some info:

1. I bought an iPhone 5 a while ago, and has been activated for a while.
    2. Do I leave the SIM in or do I take it out? Since my iPhone 5 has already been activated, I would guess that it leaves the SIM useless? Or is this not true?
    3. I completely wipe the phones, as in, "Erase All Content & Settings" if I want it to be a completely new phone, correct?
    4. If the person I'm selling it too goes to get it activated, they will give him a new SIM, and it will not be connected to me in any way possible, correct?
    5. Lastly, what would the selling price be for a fair condition iPhone 4 (scratches along the sides, micro screen scratches, etc.)? I was thinking around $100-$125.

Thanks!

2. lordofthereef, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Since your old sim is no longer usable it is useless to the would be owner unless they want to use it as an iPod touch. In that case it requires a sim to activate, and an old used sim works just fine.

As far as restoring I've heard of iMessage being an issue for some people who did not turn off iMessage before wiping. This may or may not happen to you. If you want to be extremely safe about it, set the iPhone 4 up one last time, make sure iMessage is turned off and then wipe it again.

As for price, I didn't see you mention storage capacity. That is going to matter a lot in resale value. 8gb is on the lowest end for obvious reasons. Also consider wether your phone is or can be unlocked. Unlocked phones are more desirable, especially since people like to buy these lower end models for TMO. Assuming you have AT&T they will do this for free or you can have it done for a couple bucks online. In my area I'm seeing 16gb sell for around $175 and 32gb around $225-250.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

- Just take your sim out of the iPhone 5
    - Erase all content and settings will make the phones like new for the new owners
    - Whoever you're selling it to just puts their sim card inside and the phone will work (assuming you are on AT&T)
    - If you're on AT&T, then you can get your iPhone 4 unlocked and people will pay $170-200 for it. Also if you get it unlocked then you'll have a broader range of potential buyers since people on T-Mobile might be interested in buying it too.

If you're on Verizon/Sprint then it's a whole different ball game.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Just check on your local craigslist and see how much they are going for. Remember, you'll almost always get more for it on Ebay.

5. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

6. oaktree macrumors regular

I sold an unlocked iPhone 4 16GB for $259 including shipping on July 14th. I shipped USPS with insurance and delivery confirmation. It sold 30 minutes after I listed it. I had the original box, USB cord and AC adapter. It was in excellent condition.

Make sure you take pictures of it from all sides and describe it accurately and completely.

Good luck. I had so much fun selling it.

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd make sure to sign out of everything too. iMessages; iTunes; Facebook; Instagram, and whatever else you may have had to sign into- such as iCloud- before erasing completely.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Sure you'll always get more but you need to take into consideration the fees you will pay:

10% of selling price (inc shipping) to eBay
    3% of selling price to PayPal
    +Probably $7-$10 to ship it with a signature on delivery.'

So you need to deduct about 20% of what you sold it for for fees etc.

9. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

20%? That's way off.

I sold an iPhone 5 for a little over $400. After the 12.9% to paypal and ebay, and $7 and change for shipping, that's only ~14.4% off the total price, not 20%.

And when selling newish iphones, you don't really need to offer free shipping, so the number can stay at 12.9%

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's not "WAY OFF" it' just varies somewhat. FREE of PAID Shipping no longer matters. You are charged fees on shipping whether it is free (included) or broken out separately.

You are correct though, depending on the selling cost the final % varies but it's still up there.

However a $400 phone still costs

$40 eBay
    $12 paypal
    AROUND $10.00 to ship WITH SIGNATURE (which is REQUIRED for seller protection) depending on what you use (UPS is much more expensive, closer to $14-$15 w/sig) and how much you insure it for (if anything)

So that is still $60-$62 which is around 15% and could easily hit 20% if you insure it for the full value you were paid. So 15% or 20% you still need to take that into consideration when someone says "I got $500 for my xxxxxx" because that someone didn't get $500 which was my main point.