Selling old iPhone, how can I be sure AT&T will allow me to upgrade to new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Aug 11, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So I'm looking to sell my old phone but was wondering how do I know I'll be able to upgrade once the new one comes out. I don't want to sell my old iPhone and be told I still have to ride out the contract and have no phone. :eek:

I logged into my AT&T account and see this message, should I be good? It threw me off somewhat because it says June 2013

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Dial *639# and they will text you back your eligibility

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

An Early Upgrade is a smaller discount. I think it's subsidized pricing + $250.

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You'll only get a partial discount. You won't get the new phone for the $200/$300 price points. Those are for full upgrade only.

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wow is that right? have always got an early upgrade and paid only the subsidized price never more, also never had to wait until my full 2 years were up been with AT&T since the first gen. Have things changed now?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Unfortunately yeah. AT&T upgrades are every 18-20 months now.

7. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Here's a thought - call AT&T and ask them. Simple as that.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It used to be that if you paid over $99 (or something like that) per month, the main line on your account could get the upgrade yearly. Sadly that is no longer the case.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they have changed their subsidys.
    No more yearly thing. And as that message clearly states you have to wait till june 2013 or pay $450 to get the next iphone with a 2 year contract.

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

So this new change is just recently now in effect for this new iPhone 5? That's too bad, as I recall I purchased my 32gb 4S for the 299 price having been only about a little over a year into my iPhone 4 contract.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well it's not specifically for the new iPhone 5. It was actually in place maybe 3 months (give or take some) after the 4S launched. Either way, you should be able to break even with your 4S, especially if you have AT&T unlock it after you upgrade, so not quite sure what the issue is here.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its for every phone model like said above and its somewhat new.
    Sucks.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP: AT&T will always let you upgrade, the question is how much it costs.

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

Yeah they changed it a year or so ago I believe.

For me if I'm going to pay $450 I'd save and just buy out right. Not worth it to me to resign a 2yr contract at that price.

Speaking of contracts. Does AT&T offer 1yr contracts?

15. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys so curious what would I be looking at for the 32gb about $500-525? If I have AT&T unlock my 4s the going rate via eBay I've seen is about 5-600 right? I guess it's about the same if those estimates are right, might just have to pay tax or a bit more.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Your numbers are about right. I would expect to get ~$450 for the unlocked 4S. Remember, you will be selling it AFTER the new phone launches (assuming you sell it unlocked).

17. Djs621 macrumors regular

He would have to sell it prior to launch not after. In fact, If he wants to sell it for the most $ he should sell before they even announce the phone. As soon as the general public gets any type of confirmation from apple that a new phone is coming, the 4s resale value will dip dramatically. But c'mon, is this really news to anyone?

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My point is, he will make up most, if not all, of the difference in that he has an unlocked phone to sell. He won't be able to get ATT to unlock the phone until he resigns a 2 year.

19. Djs621 macrumors regular

What's the diff in price between selling unlocked and locked?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I agree with those saying to wait until you get the new iPhone and sell it unlocked.

21. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, was thinking somewhere around there 50 bucks less since it will be after the new release. I will wait and see how things play out right on lord.

I've sold all my previous iPhones some before launch of the new one some after, they don't usually dip THAT much see above all Apple products usually hold good value even years on down the line. The reason he's suggesting to sell it after is so I can sell it unlocked which usually fetches about 100 more bucks.

22. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wow, so even after the 5 launches you think you can still get 500 for it?? I'm not doubting this is the case, it's just amazing at how well apple products hold their value.

23. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yea, that's really impressive since a brand new unlocked 4S would be about $550.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You also have to figure in tax on top of that will have you breaking $600, so the buyer is actually saving $100 or so. But it might not sell for exactly $500, perhaps $450 or so. The point is it should just about cover the upgrade fee. :)

25. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yea, sounds like a good deal. How much can you get if the phone is jailbroken as well?