Selling on-contract iPhone ... to clarify?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, Sep 12, 2012.

1. essential macrumors regular

I did some searches first but I want to clarify that I understand what I read before I proceed.

I have an on-contract AT&T iPhone 4S (64gb) what won't allow for an upgrade until May 2013. I have several upgrades available on my family plan (parents who still use dumbphones) and may take one to get an iPhone 5, but then I need to sell this on-contract iPhone.

Based on what I read, I can sell an on-contract iPhone and it is fully usable without issue, but only with AT&T, it cannot be unlocked or taken to another network until at least May 2013, so as long as I make sure the buyer is intending to use it on AT&T, there won't be any issues, correct or did I misunderstand?

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You got it. You can sell your on-contract 4S and as long as the buyer is going to use it on AT&T, there shouldn't be any issues.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

Is there really enough new to justify the loss you WILL take on the 4S?

4. essential thread starter macrumors regular

I can/should get $400 for it ... a new one will cost $400, it's basically just a swap outside of maybe an eBay fee. My 4 sold for $460, but it was off-contract.

Thank you Kentucky for the verification.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

actually, the person you sell it to could pay a site online to unlock it, or you could do that..usually $20 and you could sell it as an unlocked phone.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

For a 16 gig? Might be tough.

Also there's the cost of a new case and a screen protector. AppleCare. Etc

It's not a clean swap.