Selling out-of-contract iPhone 4 - problems when upgrading to new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickm81us, Sep 10, 2012.

1. nickm81us macrumors member

nickm81us

Hey all --

I'm looking to sell my out-of-contract AT&T iPhone 4 16 GB sometime this week, and just use my SIM card in a cheapo temporary phone in the meantime (with a micro-SIM adapter).

Has anyone run into problems doing something like this? I.e., would AT&T see that the iPhone 4 is no longer on the account, and give me grief when I'm trying to upgrade? I don't plan on making any rate plan or account changes during this time, was just curious what other folks may have run into.

Thanks!

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

If its a dumb phone you could possibly lose your data plan. If your grandfathered in the unlimited plan then I wouldnt do it. I don't think your upgrade date will change.

4. nickm81us thread starter macrumors member

nickm81us

It is a dumb phone, but I don't have an unlimited data plan, unfortunately. I wouldn't actually make any account changes, just swap the SIM card to a different phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought your plan was bound to your account/phone number, and not to a specific phone?

Che - I was likely going to list it on eBay, was hoping to get at least $150 for it, considering it's in pristine condition in addition to being unlocked.

Thanks!

5. mobutt macrumors 6502

nothing will happen, guaranteed, or i will buy you an iphone, and this post is a legal binding contract

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Do some price checking - I think you can get more than $150 for an unlocked 4.