Selling/Sold my MBP on Craigslist, have a Question/Concern re: Paypal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsa420, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

So after fielding numerous emails from people claiming to want to buy my MBP, it appears I finally have found someone to purchase it. This guy seems a little bit sketchy in that his communication has been sporadic and cryptic at times.

He has agreed to pay via Paypal in advance of our meeting, am I at any risk after he submits payment via Paypal? I would assume he is using a credit card to pay me....

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As long as he is willing to meet locally and you don't mind the fees. Paypal seems like a positive... Protection, etc.

3. JGruber macrumors 6502

Personally, when I sell something on Craigslist, I accept Cash only, and meeting in person. So many scams on craigslist, and meeting in person and exchanging cash is best IMO.

With Paypal, he could be using a stolen CC, a stolen account, you just never know.

4. Panzo macrumors 6502

definite no from me, as the guy above said, cash flow, i need on time im talking bank roll, cash money baby, nothing else, id go as far as checking the actual bills. paypal covers you 2000 if you buy something and get screwed not if you sell something and get screwed, id say no show, be patient and some one with cash money will definitely pop up.

5. pnyc macrumors 6502

If you're already meeting him in person why not ask him to pay cash? I would avoid PayPal in your case, in addition to stolen accounts, credit card numbers the buyer might also do a "charge back" against the purchase if he/she pays with a credit card. More about charge backs : https://www.paypal.com/chargeback

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Not to mention in case of a charge back you don't have proof of delivery.

According to PayPal sellers are NOT COVERED FOR SELLER PROTECTION for items picked up locally or delivered in person.

Link

I wouldn't do it if I were you unless you could get him to allow you to copy his drivers license.

7. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

The guy claimed he was "short on cash" earlier today thus wanted to pay via Paypal/credit card. Considering he is paying $1,500, its not an hard to sympathize with someone not having that much cash.

That said, I dont want to get screwed either, does anyone know if Google's payment system is any better?

8. xeddyx macrumors newbie

I personally wouldn't risk it.. like other's have said he could do a charge back or something similar. Ask him to pay you in cash for your 100% guaranteed protection.

9. xeddyx macrumors newbie

Tell'em to use an ATM then.. he might be trying to avoid the fee's associated with that but I doubt it'll break his bank.

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Tell him to get a money order from the USPS. He can use a credit card to purchase one.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

I personally like the copy of the ID idea, that maybe couple with a quick letter I could draft up saying he purchased it and for how much, etc. Also I could take a picture or two, that is if I dont get mugged in the process.

13. pnyc macrumors 6502

You might be able to do this. Go with him to to a post office have him purchase a money order in the amount of $1500, still at the post office have him hand you the money order, cash it immediately and hand him the computer after the teller hands you the cash. Here's more about money order : http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/moneyorders/welcome.htm

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

"sketchy..., sporadic..., cryptic..."

Let the SELLER be warned :rolleyes:

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

+100. If you choose to ignore this advice, don't come back here asking what to do because you got scammed. You have been duly warned.

16. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Completely agreed, I have opted to not go through with this transaction. Much better to take a little less $$$ by selling on Ebay than to get scammed and get nothing..

Thanks everyone for talking me out of almost doing something stupid!

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uh no

paypal can be used to scam people easily

once again....CASH ONLY

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There's nothing wrong with CL if you know what to look for in a buyer, and accept cash only. I use CL for bigger ticket items all the time, when shipping is a problem or the Ebay/PayPal fees would be too high.

1. all caps/bad English emails, weird demands, odd payment plans = move on. too many legit buyers out there to bother with these.

2. ask the buyer for a link to his/her ebay feedback, or a forum they belong to, or any sort of verifiable online presence. good netizens make good customers.

3. google their email address. if it's coolmacguy46@aol.com, and nothing comes up, search for coolmacguy46 without the aol.com...you'd be surprised at the amount of info you can find on a person this way if their handle isn't too generic.

19. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

20. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

way too many paypal scams out there, if using CL definitely CASH ONLY, for real man do not get urself screwed, otherwise we'll be seeing a "omg I got scammed on CL" post in a few days

for real man, cover your ass!!!! cash only, or like the other guys said USPS money order, & cash it immediately, he can use CC & u dont' get scammed

good luck :)

21. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Paypal offers the seller absolutely zero protection from a scammer that knows what they are doing. The Seller Protection does not cover "Item Not As Described" when purchased with a credit card.

And contrary to what others have suggested, you cannot purchase a USPS Money Order with a credit card. You can use a debit card, but most debit cards have limits under $1,000. And if the buyer is cash-strapped, a debit card would not help the situation.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

CASH ONLY. I can already tell you how this is going to go down:

You'll get the funds via paypal.
    You and the individual will meet up.
    You exchange the computer with a written note + copy of his ID, you both sign.
    Five hours later he has issued a chargback through his CC (not paypal) and the funds are instantly reversed from your account with the burdon of proof on you. Claim? Non delivery.
    You show proof, joe says its not him.
    Paypal will more than likely side with the buyer especially if they file a fraud charge with their CC.

If you insist on being hard headed make sure that you have in-ebay communication (like using the internal messaging system linked to the item) stating the date time location and name of the persion you are going to make the trade with then ensure you get them to sign a note stating you are turning it over, sign and date that with their drivers license #.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cash only.

I've sold computers on craigslist myself, and I've also heard the sob stories, and the scam stories (living abroad, need to send the computer their relative blah blah blah)

Anyways, go with your first instincts, you mentioned that it sounds sketchy. Why go with the sale then? Who cares if this guy cannot afford to by the computer in cash, that's not your problem. There are others out there on craigslist that will deal with cash.

24. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Craiglist ???

IN PERSON ????

CASH ONLY !!!!!!

Sorry but I am an anti-Paypal person !!!!!

Oh and stop at the store and get one of those money testing pens!!!!! :D

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

READ THE ABOVE ......

BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!!

LIVE BY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

PAYPAL is becoming a haven for SCAMMERS !!!!!!!!