selling the iphone 5 on ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rinku666, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Rinku666 macrumors newbie

Has anyone bought a iphone from apple with a contract from ATT and then terminated the contract and sold the phone on ebay? Any body with any experience on this?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Let's see cost initially out of pocket: $200
    Early cancellation cost: $350
    Cost for partial month of service: $25
    eBay and PayPal fees: $50
    Total cost needed from auction just to break even: $625

Wasting your time and making no money: priceless

3. Briview macrumors regular

Absolutely a waste of time and money because the total cost to break-even is not $625. I used to do this to keep a no service phone (not sell it, but use it as my all-in-one tool since I don't need a cell phone). The cost for activation, the cheapest first month plan, and taxes and fees come close to $126 altogether. Then, the ETF plus tax is $360. The phone itself at 16GB is around $250-260. Comes down to paying almost $900 after government fees and federal cellular taxes, all just for a phone. And this is all mandatory on AT&T. I really don't know how scalpers make money sometimes.

Verizon seems to be reasonable. Activation Fee + ETF + Phone + Taxes, so it's $700ish.

4. Lamarak macrumors 6502

And to top it off, youll be attracting alot of scammers that will use the ebay paypal system against you to get a free phone and rip your money off at same time.

Only way I would even consider selling something like that is on craigslist where you have cash in hand and they cant reverse charge you like they can on paypal.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-iPhone-...0726700117?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2c68327c55

Already up to $1050. Not really wasting time and making no money.

Or even this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...0775609599?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item43b393b0ff
    $1225

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yet a quick search brings up buy it now iPhone 5's for less than 900. There's a sucker born every minute... In the end The New iPad and the iPhone 4s showed us that there isn't a lot of money to be made in the reselling maker anymore for apple products. Now that products are being released to 20+ countries within 2 weeks of launch means that most people who want them can get them with little to no wait... When the New iPad was released there were tons of secondary resellers returning iPads left and right because there wasn't a large enough profit to bother. This will be the same for the iPhone 5. Sure a few will sell for way too much initially but within a very short time this won't be the case...