Selling the wife on Galaxy S5 over iPhone 6 (trying...)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Chodite, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Quick history:

Wife has only owned iPhones, until last year. She went along with my wishes and rocked a Moto X. Unfortunately, not a good first Android experience, as I'm pretty sure that particular Moto X was a lemon. Awful battery, terrible camera. She couldn't wait to go back to iPhone 6.

Fast forward to Friday. I buy her an iPhone 6. She likes it. Except for the battery life, which I'm going to assume improves.. but the jury's still out.

Then, I get offered $1,100 for the iPhone 6 (64GB, I paid $800 w/ tax). Sold it.

NOW - I'm trying to get her onto the S5 bandwagon. She's never owned a quality Android phone. But I understand her not wanting to go back.

I'm thinking of just buying one today and letting her use it for a few days. If she absolutely HATES it, then I'll return it and buy another iPhone 6.

Personally, I know the Samsung has better screen, better camera, etc. But it's that experience, ya know? Help me out. Please!

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Any particular reason for choosing the S5? TouchWiz might really put her off if she didn't even like the Moto X. The M8 would be my first thought. Incidentally, it kinda looks like the iPhone 6 too :p

My gf hates Apple with a passion after using a 4S for two years, but I'm not recommending a TouchWiz device to her because honestly she doesn't understand what a well-ordered world she's been living in and the shock of going to TouchWiz might be too harsh an introduction to Android. To her I am recommending the Xperia Z3 instead. (Might also be a good one for your wife! Looks VERY slick compared to the S5 imo, and the camera is reportedly excellent. I've not heard anything bad about the battery life either.)

3. weespeed macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat as you OP.
    My wife has always had iPhones. I've always had iPhones and another device.

I left completely after the iPhone 5 and moved to the Note 3 as my only phone. Before it was a Nexus and an iPhone or a WP and an iPhone.

The wife loved the screen and so she jumped and is using a white Note 3.

But even after a year, I think I will get her the iPhone 6+. It's what she remembers (iOS) and even though she really likes her Note, I think she'll be just as happy if not happier with the iPhone. She'll miss somethings, but she wasn't a power user like I was.

So I say get her another iPhone 6 and let her have what she wants, A happy wife is a happy life..

4. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I tried to talk to my wife about android, but just bought her an iphone in the end :p

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You should get her what she wants OP. Trust me, you'll save yourself some major headaches.

6. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I'd say give her a M8 to try, it's a great phone. And the camera and screen isn't necessarily better, just better specs on paper. The camera on the S5 is a joke without good lighting and most pictures a lot of people take aren't in very good lighting most of the time. 4k video is cool but useless right now and the quality isn't that good IMO. It drops frames and just doesn't look very good. The screen is personal preference, the S5 screen is very tough to see in the sun where as the 6 gets very bright. The S5 has very exaggerated colors and the whites are pretty poor.

7. cube macrumors G5

The Galaxy Alpha is being released in a couple of days. Maybe she will like that. Have her see the ad.

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

It's cliche, but true..."Happy wife, happy life."

10. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Jeez, seems like this guy's making all the decisions for his wife. How about you stop trying to convert her and just let her use what she enjoys best?

11. Bazilemac macrumors regular

does the s5 actually have a better camera than the plus? I've had a s4 and my friends iPhone 5 s took way better pics on their phone. my pictures were washed out while there's were very rich in color.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

My wife has been using an iPhone since the 3GS. No real good reason to bother trying to get her into something else. What would be the point?

She's happy, and by keeping her in the Apple world, once I return, which I always do, it makes it easier to sync up and share photos, music, whatever.

13. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

OK. As someone with experience with a wife, I recommend against trying to introduce her to another Android when you already know she had a bad experience and understand why she did not want to go back. Then you say you will buy her another iPhone 6 if she absolutely HATES the GS5? What if she only kinda hates it? Is she willing to put up with something for the next couple of years just to save a few hundred dollars?

I recommend you just ask her what phone she wants and buy it. Let her know the price as that may be a factor in her decision. The last thing you want is for her to not like the phone that you recommend that she get.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

To be honest if your wife likes the iPhone, I don't see any point in trying to switch her. I know a few people who have switched and have hated it so much they've sold their phones to go back to the iPhone. Unless your wife loves playing with tech and enjoys the odd trouble shooting mission, I would give her the easy life and stick with what she likes. :)

15. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Most non-techie people I know (especially women) only use Messaging/Whatsapp, Facebook and maybe some games (that for sure exist on both platforms)... they don't even need a highend device like an iPhone 6, S5, M8.... or every last-year flagship would suffice. Everything else is wasted money. The Moto X is such a nice and smooth device, I don't get what problem she had with it.

Or get her a 5C, it's relatively cheap and fast enough.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

IMO yes. The S5 performs a lot better with images straight from the phone in most all cases. The iP5s and the new 6 units will do better straight from the phone in low light, but if you take 30 seconds to clean up or even simply reduce the S5 images in post processing, you'll find they result in better images.

The high resolution images from the CMOS sensor Samsung compress from 16mp's down to 8 very well and any noise that was initially captured cleans up and averages out great. Here's a great review for you to read through.

The iPhones flash system is great though.

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

let her buy her own phone and save your money :p

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I agree. I think you should just let her pick her own phone. I converted my boyfriend to iOS from android, he had the original G1. Then I conver him back to android two years ago. However I would be mad if my boyfriend sold my phone.

19. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

As a woman, if I may chime in here...

I know how you feel about tech enthusiasm, I feel the same way but as much as I hate to acknowledge it my man has his own tastes, )even though I know better for him ;):p really just joking there. honest!:cool:

Perfect comparable example, wedding rings. I had his custom made, he wanted very plain, I wanted something unique for him. I FINALLY (and trust me this was hell for me) found a design idea that he liked (it was a store design but was pretty flimsy), I had it modified a bit by the jeweller, he chose the finish and although (the finish) is much more subtle that I would have liked, he loves the ring. And no he is not just saying it, he wouldn't lie for that kind of cash.

Bottom line, have to respect your partner's wishes, it is part of why you fell in love with them. This revolves around the world of tech too (I wish I could get that man to upgrade his phone!!! LOL!)

20. aneftp macrumors 601

Samsung does not have the better camera. The screen is subjective. Although the Apple 6 Plus model has been labeled the best in class screen by some reviews already. The regular 6 screen has been labeled above average.

21. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

While I did buy a new Galaxy S5 last night for her. I will be getting another iPhone 6 as soon as I can get my hands on one. Though who knows, during her current 14-day return period, she may fall in love :)

Thanks again.

22. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Please don't start spreading this. It is the best LCD screen tested to date. There are other screen techs out there.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Divorce her if she doesn't want a Galaxy. How dare she. :mad:

24. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Not a fan of LCD, sorry. Note 4 has THE single best display in the world. Proven. Fact. Anyway, thanks for chiming in though.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Link. To. Said. Proof.:rolleyes: