Selling upgraded 5 without activating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyriostrife, Sep 22, 2012.

1. kyriostrife macrumors member

My father and I bought 2 iphone 5s to upgrade both of our AT&T lines. Both were ordered online through Apple and came sealed. I am keeping mine but he wants to sell his so he hasn't opened it yet. Because it was an upgrade does he have to open it and activate it or can I just sell it for him sealed the way it is?

2. kyriostrife thread starter macrumors member

3. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

4. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

I would activate before selling. I went through hell with mine.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You of course realize you still have the 2 year contract and can not decide to upgrade later, right?

If you give it someone else, sealed, and they open it, I think they will activate and then have your phone number.

6. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

I plan on using a 4s for now and if I feel the itch to upgrade i'll do so later. It'll be at full price but I'm comfortable getting a used phone on the bay/c-list.

There was no price increase in contract since I'm a grandfathered unlimited data plan holder. I love AT&T, so being locked in for another 2 years is fine.

I guess I'll just have to get the iP5 unlocked (pay for the unlocking) and take out the nanoSIM.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not only that but they will need the last 4 of the account holders social and billing zip for the first activation. Without that they wont be able to activate it at all and get passed this screen below.
    So yes, avoid all the aggrevation to the seller and activate it before you send it out.
    Take out your sim before you sell it and that's it.

Attached Files:

8. Xarthan macrumors regular

Xarthan

The horrible thing is, if the buyer encounters a problem and needs to erase or reset the phone later on, that screen again pops up.