semi frozen imac but BT keyboard and mouse working but nothing is responding

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lopper316, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lopper316 macrumors newbie

last night my iMac semi froze on me. it's weird because I can still use my BT keyboard and mouse but when i try to click on anything it doesn't work. now the dashboard and expose functions work as well as do keyboard shortcuts but when i try to click on any icon nothing responds. it's like everything on the computer seems to be working except for clicking, has this happened to anyone else ?

any help would be great, i'm posting this on my iphone.

thanks !

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just restart the computer. The system just got caught in a starvation loop. Something on your computer was hogging the cycles on the computer, but Expose and Dashboard had high enough priority to over ride that "something". This happens from time to time on all systems, because it would require too much overhead to detect these problems and correct them.

TEG

3. lopper316 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i've restarted it a few times actually, i even left the computer off over night and turned it back on today and it was still in the semi frozen state, any other suggestions?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you restarted, how could it still be in this state? Try holding down shift while the computer is starting up (you may need to use a wired keyboard) to open in safe mode and it will clean up problems.

TEG

5. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

6. lopper316 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks guys, i reset the PRAM and SmC and all went back to normal ... no idea what the problem was but it worked.

thanks again

7. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I have the exact same situation as the orginal poster. I am having trouble resetting the SMC. I force quit. When I do, it only shows Finder, and the only available option is "relaunch". I cannot select this because nothing responds to mouse clicks. Next step is a resart, which requires control-command-power. Where is the power key, or do they mean the power button?