Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Sen. Clinton asks for shoulder-fired missile defense

Originally posted by dukestreet
This could be a very serious threat to the airline industry if there continue to be more attacks with these shoulder mounted rockets, and even worse if they manage to get then into the US. Thankfully they're not Stinger missles (guided)

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/02/clinton.missiles/index.html

D

It is really scary........ I can't remember where I heard it, but there's talk of fitting planes with anti-missle flares to counter act the missle threat!!

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
If it didn't hit the plane then...

Where did that shoulder-fired missile that missed the Israeli charter jet land? I don't know how far they fly.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I've never flown, but on December 27th I'm leaving for London and I'm quite nervous about it. With the recent events in mind, I'm now 98% sure that my plane is going down. Alas, I cannot live in fear, so I must go... but that's not the point.

The point is, where did these ass-clowns get shoulder-fired missiles? America has a lot of ****ing problems, but our biggest is that fact that we neither acknowledge our mistakes or learn from them.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Re: If it didn't hit the plane then...

Originally posted by Bradcoe
Where did that shoulder-fired missile that missed the Israeli charter jet land? I don't know how far they fly.

They're good for about 2miles, I'm pretty sure. I think 5000' accurately.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by cr2sh
I've never flown, but on December 27th I'm leaving for London and I'm quite nervous about it. With the recent events in mind, I'm now 98% sure that my plane is going down. Alas, I cannot live in fear, so I must go... but that's not the point.

The point is, where did these ass-clowns get shoulder-fired missiles? America has a lot of ****ing problems, but our biggest is that fact that we neither acknowledge our mistakes or learn from them.

Don't worry, enjoy the flight, it will be fine.

As for where they got these missles, well, they're actually anti-tank missles, so its point and shoot, nothing fancy. With all the wars going on in Africa, weapons aren't that difficult to get if you have enough money. The Stinger missles are the good ones that are heat seekers - which they don't have.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by cr2sh

No guidance in them as far as I know. That's why they shot off 2 rockets and missed both times. Plus they are idiots, they don't have the training and they more asks of terror they commit, the fewer of them are left. They keep killing themselves, soon, no more idiots left.

A US plane to London would almost be impossible for them to try and pull off. No worries, enjoy the sleep.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
from what i heard, they're not guided per se, but they are heat seeking...

SA-51M or something like that... is what i saw with some expert on them on tv... they seek the heat. and so planes can toss flares to divert them, or can use an infrared signal to "blind" them... which i guess is more efficient but more expensive.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Heat seeking

They are indeed heat seeking, and once fired on a locked-in thermal signature if the missile misses it's target it is designed to self destruct within 14 seconds.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I've heard estimates of it costing $200m per plane for retrofiting. That doesn't include installation & loss of use. The question is who will pay for it, don't think the airlines are planning to do this. As usual its the taxpayer that foots the bill, you and me. It sounds like Hillary want to get the credit, a sad thought, will do anything to further her career. :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Corporate fliers are now commonly using private jets, offers safety.

Israel now has become a target of Al Qaeda!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by wdlove
I've heard estimates of it costing $200m per plane for retrofiting.

Again, no link - without that this number is ludicrous, $200,000,000?!? The planes themselves don't cost that much! Well almost, a brand new Boeing 777 can go for around $250,000,000 - more or less depending on how many you buy.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
A system like that might go for 200k, but not 200m. That's just way too much and no one would pay for it or fly on an airline that would have raise its fairs that much more just to pay for the extra safety.

It is sad that its come to this. :(

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Poll from Netscape:

Would you pay higher airline fares for protection against missiles?
_
Yes, I'll pay for safety
32%_
_
No, that's what the Homeland Security Department is for
68%_

They don't realize that means they will pay via taxes, either way we pay!
Its not the Airlines or the governement that will pay the cost.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Democrats assess the health of the country by the number of people that depend on government to survive. Republicans assess the heatlh of the country by the number of Americans that are self suficient.

Public safety is legitimate for the goverment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.