Sen. John Thune (R) 2012 Prospects

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Politico had a piece about Sen. Thune (R-SD) which paints him as a strong presidential contender for the GOP. Good looking, a good speaker, fiscally conservative - things that will most likely appeal to the entire Republican base. Has anyone been following this guy?

Right off the bat I found two things that would most likely be used against him should he clinch the nom in 2012.

One, the article points out

A plus for the rightwing base, but a definite turn off for leftwingers and probably more than a few independents.

Two, he was one of the 30 GOP senators that voted against Al Franken's "anti rape" legislation. (Yes, I know it's from huffpo, but the info they use is taken from senate records - just ignore the opinion part of the article). This is something I flat out don't understand. Why would anyone vote against such a bill, especially if they wanted to pursue a career in the public eye? All of the female GOP senators supported it, as well as six other republicans.

Thune had this to say about it.

I'm not sure, but he seems to have said that stomping out sexual harassment is somehow only important to the liberal left - not something that you want to say when you're running as a conservative.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I hope not. We don't need any more theocrats running this country.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say that most people (in the UK) don't care that much about sexual assault/harassment. Its something most people in power don't seem to try particularly hard on - probably because there aren't a lot of easy solutions.

That said this amendment sounds like a no-brainer and doesn't require people to do anything that is challenging to implement. I'm appalled that people voted against it. Especially the US Chamber of Commerce for supporting those who voted against it.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let him run! He sounds like an easy one to defeat.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

There's no such thing as a fiscally conservative politician.

6. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Looks matter....and John Thune has them! He is 6-4 to 6-5, and have the looks of a movie star. Also, he comes off like gold on camera. I'm not a homosexual, but I've got to say that he is a hottie. He would trounce Obama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought they banned you from the site. :confused:

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Apparently, only certain people are banned for life these days. ;)

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

News too me.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Was wondering the same thing. Ban on, ban off.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oooohhh, so THAT'S why this place has been less full of fail in the last couple months...

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thanks for the clarification.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I thought someone who had looks and charisma were some sort of empty celebrity who people only liked for their looks and not their policies?