Sen. Joni Ernst says GOP members concerned about Trump’s Florida visits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Looks like we are finally starting to see Republicans also complain about Trump's frequent trips to Florida.

Speaking at a Town Hall meeting today, Sen. Joni Ernst had a number of things to say about Trump in response to a constituent's concerns about the money being spent:

And apparently it isn't just her that is feeling that way:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/18/ernst-gop-members-concerned-about-trump-fla-visits/

I can't find any written story on another part of the question that this same constituent asked which I did find equally interesting. But I saw it on TV. He asked about both father and daughter's overseas clothing business and bringing jobs back...shouldn't he set an example?

Answer: Yes. He "should put his money where his mouth is". Ouch!

Kind of major when you lose someone like Joni Ernst. Trump needs to start paying attention to this. It could be quite the problem for him as time goes on.

2. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I think all those promises on the campaign trail was just like cheap eye candy. He is in the office now and will do whatever he wants. It's really to bad that nobody on capital hill had the balls to deny him taking the oath while still having businesses that he is earning an income from. Same goes for Jared and Ivanka.

3. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

Did anyone really think that he would actually keep any of those promises? I have a feeling no one really thought about them before they voted for him.

4. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

But he promised that he would be so busy working so hard that he would never leave Washington. What happened?

Also, Obeezy should have gotten to work instead of playing golf.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2017 ---
    I think some portion of the population has never been exposed to a con man, I mean used car salesman, I mean a swell fellow on the corner who sells Rolex watches at incredible prices.

5. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Heck no. I'll admit that most people running for the presidency make promises that most will never come true. Some because they are just grandiose, others because they are just unable to get passed. But I personally knew that pretty much everything that Trump promised was nothing more than stale helium from his lungs.
    The promises sound great if you're an out of work autoworker or coal miner, or are so uneducated that you truly believe that all immigrants are stealing our jobs. But jobs have been leaving the US for 30-40 years or more. Just how many did he really think he could bring back in four years?
    Now to be honest, there were a few things he promised that I liked the sound of, but luckily for me, I'm educated enough in the school of life that I didn't fall for them.

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Whatever the number he and Ivanka employ overseas. If he would only even bother to try.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You've just described literally every politician in the last 50yrs.

8. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

He's POTUS now, he's going to do whatever he wants regardless of who opposes him, even if it means going down to FL just about every weekend to golf and eat.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

buh, buh, buh, bbbbbbbuuuttt.. ... Hillary's e-mails..!!!

10. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

No, most of them at least stick with a few of their promises and make an effort to follow through on a few others.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Since Florida is widely known as the US capital of idiotic behavior I’m not surprised that Trump likes spending a lot of time there.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

To be fair, like it or not, he did try and follow through on the travel ban and repealing Obamacare.

13. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

True, I guess those were just such miserable failures that I had forgotten about them already.

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I mean if you think about it, all of the main points that he's been trying to accomplish either failed or have stalled completely with the exception of the border wall and we still don't know how that'll be funded. Now the administration is saying that Tax reform bill likely won't happen anytime soon. (they had it projected for August but that's now off the table). The infighting within the Republican party doesn't help either.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Trump is clearly the laziest modern president. This is a good thing as it means hopefully his policies will never be enacted.

By this time in their presidencies, Clinton, Obama, and Bush had visited something like 20+ states, given numerous new policy speeches, and lobbied congress on several key campaign promises.

Wth has Trump done so far? He's visited only a few states, given only a few speeches which had zero new content and were entirely regurgitated campaign speeches, and lobbied congress on only one campaign promise that failed spectacularly.

Mostly he just golfs in Florida and tweets nonsense. He talks about chocolate cake with more passion that he talks about missile strikes. He just doesn't care anymore, it's clear as day.

Look at him on TV - he's lazy and bored out of his mind. Every other comment is how he's finding out things are harder than he thought. He thought being president would be fun and easy. Ooops.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm still waiting on the whatthe****hastrumpdonesofar.com site to show up, let alone show anything of substance.

BL.

17. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What?!! Outrageous. According to Trump that's not true.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-ap-fact-check-trump-ignores-100-day-high-achievers-2017-4

The delusion is strong in Trump. :D

18. MacNut, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

He should use the delusion for good. Tell his supporters ISIS has been eradicated, there is peace in the middle east, he built the wall and it's working, Hillary is in jail, the economy has recovered, jobs are back, abortion is now illegal, healthcare if fixed, and he has made America great again. They'll believe it coming from him and obviously never ask for proof or supporting evidence, and the adults can get back to work making this country run.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You forgot one: South is the new North.

BL.

21. Zenithal macrumors 601

Shameful that the GOP leadership is NOW growing a pair. Yeesh.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nothing like a spring recess home amongst consitutents to reset the moral compasses from whatever happens to them in Washington DC. It's all looking more and more like the tale of the emperor without clothes. It was some little kid who called out the truth... not members of the emperor's court. I imagine this is starting to happen now in some of the trailer court ktichens of left behind America.

Personally I've left off reading a lot of the news and have started listening to some great Czech operas after not hearing them for a few years. They are so dramatic, even better than SNL's takes on Spicy's press briefings...

Consider Janáček's opera Jenůfa... three generations of characters with built-in conflicts of interest: a widow, a daughter-in-law and her stepdaughter, jealous love interests, a knife slashing, an infanticide, shrieks of blame, confessions, calls for mercy...

Who needs another round of media bashing, another tweetstorm from Trump about how great his fricken wall and trade tariffs will be (especially after we get done paying the freight for it all).

Meanwhile the Trump administration looks more every day like it came out of a Clinton playbook. I don't know who gets the last laugh here, really. But Trump's first term may wind up sounding like the denouement of that Janáček opera, since I think the GOP isn't even on the same page never mind sharing one with the White House, and 2018 isn't that far away. Bottom line that's what is on Joni Ernst's mind and that of other GOP legislators. They all just got an earful at home and are coming back aware that defending their seat in the midterms may not be easy.

23. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

You do bring up an interesting point though Liz. We're closing up on 100 days and honestly it's felt more like 4 years than 4 months. Now the Administration is putting up this war hawk mentality and I'm not sure if it's meant to be a distraction or an effort for him to throw us into war in order to boost his presidency. Either way playing war is not the way for people to get behind you at all. It's fear mongering on a world scale with nuclear weapons in his back pocket.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I have a friend in Long Island who's not very much into politics at all. She said fretfully the other day on the phone something like "doesn't it seem like he's been president for a really long time already?" Yeah, buddy. It do.

25. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I warned everyone ahead of time that he would be exhausting, and that his presidency would be four long years of campaigning to go with the nearly two he already had. Just one never ending six year long election season. We will be so burnt out by the next election.

Maybe that's the whole idea. It may backfire.