Sen Lieberman: Internet comments = terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by malman89, Apr 1, 2012.

1. malman89 macrumors 68000

Just saw this pop up on my Google Reader, care of Above the Law and their source link, the Daily Kos.

From ATL:

Obviously the bill is total nonsense and hiding behind the veil of anti-terrorism legislation is gutless.

Do MR readers feel that less anonymous/semi anonymous commenting systems (forums like these, Disqus, most newspaper site comments, etc.) lead to more junk compared to "public" commenting systems on websites (Facebook, but one can make a bogus FB)?

I work at an organization that constantly posts stories/blogs to our site and we were looking into possibly implementing the FB comment system, but having no control to moderate comments killed it for us. While it's true that one can flag a comment, it's never known how long FB will take to respond, if ever.

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is why dumb old people shouldn't be allowed to run the country.

4. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I'm actually angry he's retiring – would have been so very cathartic to throw him out of office.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Nearly broke a rib laughing at that one... so, so true.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Their supporters are typically the unintelligent ones. As for the leadership, I would just call them corrupt. I think they're quite aware of what they're doing.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Unfortunately, society constantly raises a new crop of them. It's been going on for about 7 million years or so now. It seems to be a well established pattern...

8. malman89, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

Geez, it must've been too late for me to consider it an April Fools joke.

The creator explains his process here and even went so far as to use the blog he set up a few months prior in order to cover his tracks, since he has done something like this for the past 5 years.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I sometimes think we might have a better governmental system if we selected our leaders through a random lottery of all citizens.

I think there might be something fundamentally wrong with the type of person who actually wants to get into government.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you seek to serve you must be clinically nuts?

Yes, that just about sums it up.

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

If you think American governance is about "serving" anymore you must be nuts.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Couldn't possibly be any worse... Athenians felt selection by lot was more democratic.

The article Serial killers and politicians share traits comes to mind... :D

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, they crave to serve themselves at the trough of money, power & privilege.

Remind me again, how many are lawyers?? :rolleyes:

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link.

We've said it before but it bears repeating: people wouldn't fall for gags like this if douchey politicians like Lieberman didn't lend them verisimilitude. You believe it because it sounds like something they might do.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Joke or not this 100% sounds like something that idiot would do.

He's the same politician who claimed that kids can't tell the difference between video games and real life.

16. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

Truth. I guess it's a major fail and also a lesson at the same time, as covered in his day after post.

The fail - the speed of the modern media to cite source links and push information as quickly as possible.

The lesson - some people are so protective of their shrinking freedoms and some others will do anything possible to infringe on them, causing the former group to speak out in protest to protect those rights.

First time in a long time I remember getting April Fools'd. Guess it could've been worse.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did this really make the news cycles? If it did that show how much they vet stories.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Gee, I sure hope this one is another April Fool's Joke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/us/justices-approve-strip-searches-for-any-offense.html?src=me&ref=general

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

AFAIK it didn't. This was the first place I heard of it.

No. :(