Sen. Robert F. Kennedy's speechwriter: I'm voting for Trump because Democrats are the Party of War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's amazing how in just eight short years the Democrats morphed into a militaristic neocon Party of the Military-Industrial Complex seeking to initiate a new Cold War with Russia.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/rfk-trump-2016-democratic-party-speechwriter-214270

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Both candidates have done very little to show they are against war.

However, only one candidate has proposed sending soldiers into combat and possible death in response to mean words of others, has thrown around the use of nukes as if it's nothing, and might actually be baited into starting a war over tweets.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

That’s a good point given that JFK invaded the sovereign nation of Cuba to effect regime change, almost started a nuclear war with Russia, got the United States into Vietnam, and fomented crisis in Berlin, Laos, and Burma. In retrospect he was as neocon as they come.

But hey, man on the moon.

5. NT1440, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Both parties are entirely captured by war contractors, the premise of this thread is a ****ing joke.

That said, Hillary is definitely trying to go to war on her own, while Trump will be the useful idiot led by the nose by his advisors.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    You're right, Kennedy waged war like every other president. But he actually pushed back and was FURIOUS that the CIA tried to trap him in the Bay of Pigs invasion by sending such an underwhelming force that he would have to call in the navy for assistance.

Kennedy said no. He then vowed to "shatter the CIA into a thousand pieces". He was then killed after weeks of CIA and intelligence agents showing up to Allen Dulles's home for meetings after he was kicked out of his leadership role there.

Don't ever be under the assumption that a president has the ultimate military authority in the USA, more often than not they are forced to respond to deliberate situations set up by our various intelligence/covert action agencies.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Don't worry. Clinton's more like GHWBush than GWBush and a better bet than Trump. And far better than Trump's advisors, especially since Trump appears difficult to lead around even by the back of his shirt collar. Ask Reince Priebus or any of The Donald's current or former campaign managers.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Nobody would have thought that John Lennon would ever vote for Reagan either.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    The same one that lampooned trickle down as "voodoo economics"and supposedly the one who made NAFTA for Clinton to sign? But the latter's accusations and issues came about after its side-effects became prevalent, which took a while... all this is not to say HW was a bad president, far from it. With checks and balances, there's only so much one branch of the 3-branch government can actually do.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

John Lennon was never a U.S. citizen; ergo, he didn't vote for any U.S. president.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What would a President aaronvan have done? Let Cuba have nukes 90 miles away from Florida?

10. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Fixed that for you.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

For one thing, I wouldn't have started a pissing contest by placing U.S. nuclear missiles in Turkey and thus giving Khrushchev an excuse to put his missiles in Cuba.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, that Bush, the father. One of the things I liked best about GHWBush is that he stopped the first Gulf War well short of going into Baghdad to liberate six million people from the idea that things couldn't get any worse. The mission was to inform Saddam Hussein that his illegal annexation of Kuwait would not stand. Period.

I do believe Clinton to be more like Bush the father than the son, who let himself be led into the "liberation" of Iraq's hellish Pandora's box of predictable but apparently unforeseen and definitely unplanned for consequences.

I could be wrong, but even if I am, I'd rather have the hawkish but options-weighing Clinton at the helm than Donald Trump or the crew of advisors he's managed to collect so far. Trump strikes me as having a certain affinity to the spirit of Curtis LeMay (1968 VP candidate for populist candidate George Wallace) and in fact also reminds me of Mr. Wallace in his obstreperous attitude towards people who disagree with him.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So, this isn't even about how the Kennedy's are voting? It's about a former speechwriter?

I mean, maybe this would rate it's own thread if the Kennedy's turned republican, but who the heck cares about rando former employees?

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Until Trump delivers a stump speech on radioactive crabs, LeMay has no peer

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Let me use a typical trump supporter response.

"Who is this guy? And why should I care what he thinks?"

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

HIllary? yes she had proposed ground troops in Syria.

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Literally the opposite of the truth

18. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-clinton-obama-differences-20160729-snap-htmlstory.html
    "truth" is w

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yea. I don't want to throw around terms like "responsible wars" or "better wars," because I believe no war is responsible, and the ends rarely justify the means.

Nevertheless, based on past behavior things that have been said in this election cycle, Trumps wars will be more irresponsible or worse than Clinton's wars.

Man... wtf have we come to when that is the comparison to make...

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Clinton has surrounded herself with a Who's Who in Neocon policy think tank drivers. The Kagans, I'm sure Victoria Nulan will get a sweet gig.

Her policy is going to be full of rational neocons, while Trumps will be full of the rejects who burned their bridges for not being subtle enough about their goals.

We need to start pushback immediately after the inaugural, or she's going to get the wars she's working towards.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hillary is slowly but steadily fading into the abyss.

Trump continues to appeal to certain voters who are willing to overlook his shortcomings.

It would be terrific if there was another choice.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm surprised you are not a fan of Evan McMullin. Although I realize his mission is to take votes from The Donald...

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We'd been involved with troop in Vietnam since 1950 and lost our first troops in 1959. Kennedy escalated the war but he didn't start it nor American involvement.