Sen. Shelby (R) Blocks All Obama Nominations In The Senate Over AL Earmarks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ns-in-the-senate-over-al-earmarks.php?ref=fpa

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When you think the US senate can't get any more corrupt it surprises you with another example of appalling corruption.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is exactly where Obama needs to use his bully pulpit. This is deplorable behavior and I'd say the same thing were the political parties reversed.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I know Alabama is an extremely poor and in many ways, backward place, but holding the government hostage is no way to get ahead.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Good. The US public need reminding of just how idiotic Republicans in government can be.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I was torn. On one hand, this kind of pork barrel spending is the reason that we don't have the money to spend anymore. On the other, the primary duty of a Congressional representative is to secure greater prosperity for the folks at home.

Then I reread the information about the programs. Tweaking a government contract to secure a specific party's bid because they offer to build the product in your backyard is just a step away from succumbing to outright bribery. As for the IED testing lab, it wasn't just the Obama administration that didn't build it. I believe someone else was president at the time.

Screw this guy and the horse he came in on.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You guys can do that over there? That's a pretty absurd [mis]use of power..

8. pooky macrumors 6502

It is astounding how broken the Senate has become. They've lost the ability to effectively govern. The Republicans hold the country hostage, despite having just a hair over the 1/3 of the votes. The Democrats, just as complicit in this ********, just shrug their shoulders and say, "what can we do? Republicans won the majority!"

I think I'm ready. It's time to take the senate apart and rebuild something modern, a piece at a time. I'm an independent (note that means I find myself too liberal for the Democratic party), but I was happy that the Dems had secured two branches of government and we might get some decent policy enacted. Now, **** both parties.

This is depressing. I may not bother voting this year.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Who is Senator Shelby, and where is his home state?

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Isn't this undemocratic? Oh sorry, no, he's elected, so he can do what he likes :rolleyes: I wonder how many citizens voted for the passing of that power directly.. :cool:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what they want, for you not to vote.

And the Republicans are just acting like spoiled babies now, exactly like they did with Clinton. Actually, now it's worse. Every time Obama bows, it's news to these people. They have absolutely nothing, so that's what they go after. Pathetic.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Well he is up for reelection this fall. So I'm not too surprised about a publicity stunt like this - I'm assuming he's doing this as a power play to show how much he cares about AL its people.

However, he's screwing over the nation by doing it.

There either needs to be a massive overhaul in congress or a major ass-whooping. It's embarrassing the amount of stuff they can't get done.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Regardless if it was done in the past, this is the same ridiculous ******** thats been going on way too much these days, people are tired of this ****. Obama needs to set up a press conference to shine some light on this issue or something, the only thing these politicians seem to respond to is being put in a negative light so go ahead and give it to them, I want to see people's careers destroyed.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So its cool to block something because it will help your home state and basically usher you back in during election season.

But its not cool to do something similar in regards to public health and safety?

How far will the right go to say "LOOK LOOK he did it too...albeit differently, but its still the same! LOOK LOOK!"

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Speaking as a lifelong resident of Alabama, which I might add is not nearly as backward as some people here who have never been here would like to stereotype, yes, Sen. Shelby is being a douche. Then again, I expect nothing less from someone so pompous that he got a building on the UA campus named for him.

16. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

He's a birther too...

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh Christ. How do we get so many stupid people in government?

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

But the politics is exactly as corrupt and embarrassing as it seems. This move is so unsurprising it hurts.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Because the majority of Americans would vote for an amoeba if it wore the appropriate party colours. There's no incentive on the part of the party mandarins for finding thoughtful candidates, just telegenic soundbiters who can rouse the rabble.

21. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

The details seem the get lost on them, much their proposals.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know that I agree with that. Gore is not Mr. Soundbite. Lieberman is not very telegenic. Kerry was too intellectual for his own good. Palin was only good for soundbite jokes. McCain - telegenic? Maybe at a retirement community.

23. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

And the company isn't even American. Airbus is a European company that does some manufacturing in Alabama. Shelby would rather have a small cut go to Americans as long as their in his state (making a great soundbite for a campaign ad), than all of it go to American contractor that would create jobs across the country.

24. pooky macrumors 6502

Of course that's what they want, but who am I supposed to vote FOR? The Dems have shown they have no ability to get things done. The minority party is obstructionist? So ****ing what? Man up and get your ****ing job done.

As for the other side... They are a bunch of spoiled babies. Although I think at some level, they're acting this way because they know it'll work, because the Dems let them control the dialogue. The Dems let them say whatever they want to the media. The Dems let them set the agenda. The Republicans are pathetic, yes, but so are the Democrats.

Of course, in my case, it's a moot point. The entire state has one representative. The state is nearly as republican it can get. No vote for or against any of these guys will change the way this state votes. So I can happily pout, bitch about one party being evil and the other being a bunch of wimps, and hope the rest of the country wakes up and does something, hopefully dragging my backwards state along for the ride.