Sen. Tom Cotton On Gay Conversion Therapy: “Worked For Me” (it's satire, my bad)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Aug 4, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You may remember Sen. Cotton as the guy who made the genius remark that gays should quit opposing the Indiana RFRA because at least they're not being killed like in Iran.

This kinda helps reinforce the argument that the most vocal anti-gay bigots are closet cases. It's shame that instead of coming to terms with and embracing his homosexuality, he chose the cowards way out. Eventually when he comes out of the closet I'm sure his "wife" will be thrilled about how many years she wasted being someone's cover up. Please, Senator, tell us more about your "journey into manhood". :rolleyes:

- See more at: http://nationalreport.net/sen-tom-cotton-defends-gay-conversion-therapy-worked/#sthash.pRYzEGxY.dpuf

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This line makes me think this is either a parody article, or the greatest Freudian slip in the history of politics.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

nationalreport.net isn't a satire site. Unless they failed to do their homework before writing this article, the quote is legit. Legit and absolutely hilarious.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

http://realorsatire.com/nationalreport-net/

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

He's probably got a little side thing going on with that God fellow to satiate his depraved desires.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Damn. I knew that was too funny to be true.

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I know a 3 people who were gay at one time, and are no longer. And one that was straight until he was 30, and is now gay and divorced. It sounds like people on PRSI do not believe it is acceptable for someone who does not want to be gay to seek out help in making a change in their lives even if that is what they want. This is not all of PRSI, but there was a post about a year ago, if memory serves me, that trashed anyone who felt they wanted to change. Do many here feel that way?

8. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So you know 3 liars? Big deal.

Maybe because he was never actually straight?

It's not about it being acceptable or not. It's about it being impossible. The medical community along with any reputable psychological organization is vehemently against this type of "therapy". There's even a movement to ban it for minors. As a matter of fact, New Jersey and California have done just that. One of the only good pieces of legislation Chris Christie ever signed.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I don't claim to understand homosexuality but it takes a lot of courage to come out as a gay convert considering he will likely be rejected by both the homosexual and heterosexual community. To one community, he will be considered a trader while the other will always look at him with dubious eyes. :)

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's possible they could've been bi, and got bored one day.

But yeah, while we don't know the exact cognitive mechanics behind sexual attraction, the general consensus is your place on the gradient is fairly set in stone from birth on. It's entirely possible some people could shift about later in life, but you don't hear much about it outside of topics such as this.

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's rare, but it happens. It actually wouldn't even matter if the right weren't using the "it's a choice" argument to oppose gay rights.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

It is NOT impossible. Maybe some who are gay feel they can never see a change in themselves, but there are testimonies all over the place about people who have changed the way they feel. Why would you call them all liars? Also, why would you want to stop someone from trying to pursue something like this if that is what they wanted?

The New Jersey/California thing is a different topic really as that for me is a parents rights issue, so won't address that as I don't want to derail this topic in that direction.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Go have sex with a guy tomorrow. Explain to us why you did or didn't enjoy it.

Your sexuality isn't really a choice. People are straight because they're straight, gay because they're gay, or bi because they're bi. To risk stepping into a minefield here, it's like your sex. You don't choose to be male or female, either physically or mentally. It's just who you are, and your personality forms around it.

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Didn't you just call the people i mentioned liars (all guys btw) , and now you say it is rare, but it happens Did I miss something?

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Because they're trying to change something that cannot be changed. If it could be changed at will, they wouldn't need therapy to try to do it. Bi-sexual folks don't see their conversion therapists before switching between boning people of different genders daily. It comes naturally to them. If you're enrolling in gay conversion therapy, you're gay. It's not changing, and trying to change it will end up hurting you even more. This is not my opinion, this is the professional consensus.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Bolded for emphasis. From what I've heard, don't most people who go through these conversion therapies end up either being a jittery emotional wreck, or end up killing themselves?

We're talking about enforcing cognitive dissonance against one of the greatest driving instincts in the human psyche. No one's going to end up well adjusted after going through one of those programs.

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

This is my favorite article from the OP source:

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

On the other hand, perhaps gayness is the direct result of a hormonal imbalance.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

He must have tried the Passages Malibu non 12 step anti-gay program

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

LOL, this one was good too "TSA To Add Fur, Leather Items To Banned List In Wake Of Lion Controversy." Hopefully OP will create another thread.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I knew a person that identified as open gay. Very openly gay in fact to family, friends and co-workers.

They are now married with a couple of kids and self identifies as straight.

It happens.

24. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Anecdotal examples don't cut it. You need to source it, like a link to nationalreport.net.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If that were the case, then trans people going through hormone replacement therapy would end up inverting their sexuality at some point during the process.

You hear a lot about hormones in the womb, and other random factors playing a part in people's sexuality, but really...no one knows.