Senate blocks Trump from making recess appointments over break

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Aug 3, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Guess he's going to have to go out and do some serious golfing, because he sure isn't going to get anything done. BWAHAHA. They blocked him just as they blocked Obama. Must make him feel all kinds of special.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...mp-from-making-recess-appointments-over-break

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Gotta love it that it was Murkowski locking down the pro forma sessions.

Take that, sir! Threaten me again sometime over how I arrive at my voting decisions.

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

What I find infinitely amusing is that the decision to block him was unanimous. Neither dems nor republicans want him appointing anyone on his own. Maybe that's why he's going on a 19 day vacation to one of his golf resorts.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Labor day is in September right? What the **** do you guys pay these people for? There should be a new law that Congress works and gets paid the same wages and works the same hours as the average person.

5. LizKat, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

2019 might just be the year that that law passes. Stay tuned. It's not like their popularity rating can sink much more. Although very very recently they're seeming a little more meritorious at least in the Senate.

Still there is a theory that any day the Congress is not in session is like another zero accidents day on the scoreboard outside a factory. No session, no sausage, no harm no foul. These guys, jeez.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It should be noted that some members of congress use the August recess to hold town halls or meet with their constituents. It's not like they are all laying on a beach somewhere.

I don't really mind the August recess. It is a slow time of year anyway. I don't even mind that Trump is taking a large part of the month off. I think it's good to have a scheduled time off in summer that everyone can count on. Enjoy it. Sometimes congress doesn't work much, but other times they really do work hard and very very late into the night sometimes. The last thing I want is congress burned out. So take the R&R, come back in the fall and get some work done. There's a budget issue coming up.

What I do not understand though, is if congress is constantly blocking recess appointments, why is that ability still even on the books for a president? It seems like an ability a president shouldn't have anyway. What is the purpose of senate confirmations if a President can bypass them? Seems silly.

7. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Probably tradition and an unwritten rule they figured would never need contested. Like, pretty soon they'll have to draft a law stating that a sitting president can't be the judge and prosecutor of his own trial.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Let's make it an indefinite vacation. No such thing as too much golf!

9. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

The more golf he plays, the more chance he could get hit in head with golf ball. Would fit in crazy events of bizarro world of last two years.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    They needed to be out of White House anyway, cuz renovation ordered by Obama are scheduled. Make it less of a dump.

10. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

They're not supposed to be meeting all the time, anyway. The founders set things up so they were not supposed to be there all the time. Greed and power have managed to change that over the years. The more they're gone the less damage they can do. Let them vacation all the time., I say.

11. AsherN macrumors 6502

Because originally, it was arduous for Congress to gather in DC. So if a cabinet member died, the President could just appoint anopther while Congress was not sitting. Really does not apply much these days.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's all a cover. The Deeeeeeep Staaaaaate will use the opportunity to plant some recording devices in the Oval Office.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And some cocaine...why not? Might as well go all in. :D

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Not exactly the same, but I remember Obama's arrogance and SCOTUS slapping it squarely back between his legs ruling unanimously he exceeded his authority.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know about that, but I can't wait to hear the audio from the presidential bedroom -- recorded when Melania's out of town and Donald is alone -- that goes, "Oh, Donald! You're the greatest! Ohhh! You're so good! Oh my god! Omigod, omigod, omigod, omigod!!!"

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Recess appointments are common. Clinton and Bush made something like 150 of them each. It allows appointments for vacancies that exists prior to a Congressional recess. Congress then must confirm after returning. Where Obama went wrong is he pushed the envelope mading appointments while Congress was still technically in session (like this case). SCOTUS said it was a no no.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The biggest weakness of the entire elite is that they are out of touch. Forcing them to meet their constituents helps solve that.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I'll add that Congress should be mandated to use Obamacare.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought they were...

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

This is one of those things I hope someone asked the late Senator Byrd, widely acknowledged as the historian of the US Senate. I'd imagine it's just another of those arcane rules of which the Senate has a plethora, all despised or prized in turn depending on who's using it and who thinks to use it tomorrow. All these rules are about whittling away at the overreach of power, and ironically sometimes by applying it...

21. zin macrumors 6502

So did I. To the degree that they have to use the exchanges, they have to follow Obamacare. But that doesn't mean they're treated like everybody else. Thanks to a directive issued by Obama, Congress is classified as a small business, meaning members can take advantage of very large subsidies equal to 75% of the cost of a plan.

22. jerwin macrumors 68020

Not just members-- the staff as well. Figure on 20,000 people, maybe less, maybe more. Most of them are poorly paid, especially compared to the private sector (lobbyists and law firms might double or triple their salary..). A lot of people think that congress should have even higher staffing levels to deal with the workload.

The routine, time-consuming process of marking up legislation is NOT something than any sane person would want to outsource, especially to an eager K St type who would be willing to volunteer, or even pay for the privilege.

Besides all that, there are a few (perhaps just a scant few) members of Congress who aren't independently wealthy...

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Heh. I do wonder how she ended up with the wrapping-up duties though. As far as I can tell, those administrative things are supposed to be done by the Majority Leader, but he can delegate it to other people. So what could have motivated Mitch McConnel to pick Murkowski? On the one hand, it's a tedious choir that forced her to be one of the last Senators to leave for vacation. On the other hand, it made for a great symbolic visual, as you point out. So is it reward or punishment? Or maybe she just happened to have the last flight out of D.C. and was the most convenient person to stay late, lol.

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Good catch, I didn't even think of that... Mitch could not have been thrilled by her vote,that's for sure. On the other hand you can be sure he disapproved of Trump tweeting at her earlier in that debacle, even if he found her recalcitrance infuriating. Protocol is everything to those dudes, and every time Trump ignores it he loses points in the Senate. Just another indicator he doesn't get how things work. You can tip an applecart up in Washington DC without alienating your legislative leadership in both houses... if you're not Trump.

25. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Why....it leaks like a sieve anyways.