Senate Democrats agree to seat Burris

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 12, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/durbin-burris-resolution-may-soon-be-at-hand.html

Wimps! I think I'm going to go vomit. :mad:

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Does this mean I never have to hear about Blagojevich ever again?

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Now you'll probably hear more. At least they impeached the moron.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You expect more from the group that can't even punish Lieberman?

This is the main reason I don't think we'd have anything to worry about with a filibuster/veto proof majority from the Dems. Hell, you could give them all 100 Senate seats and they'd still be short votes to stop a filibuster or overturn a veto.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

How about it? WTF? It's not like they're going to suffer politically for refusing to seat the guy, just the opposite.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is it possible, in a face-saving effort, Blago actually nominated someone worthy of the position??

Just putting it out there, is all.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not the point, iJohnHenry. The point is that Blago was arrested trying to sell the seat, and then goes ahead and appoints someone anyway. I'd say there's cause not to seat anyone he tries to appoint until things are cleared up. Which, from what we've seen so far, doesn't seem likely.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I just wouldn't expect anything less from the Congressional Dems...

Time and time again they've proven they're spineless, even when public opinion is at their backs...

They got elected promising to end the war and start doing oversight, neither happened. Lieberman effectively flips the bird to the party during the election and they don't do squat. Controversial appointee talking to the press about how unfair it is that he's not being seated yet? Sure why not let him in...

The Dems seem to be completely unable to hold their ground even when everything is on their side, why would you expect different out of this situation?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I agree that the manner of the appointment is suspect, but are you saying that Roland Burris is not a good fit??

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Read this and tell me what you think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Burris

I don't think we need anymore politicians like this guy.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yup... Just about what I'd expect from the spineless Democratic caucus.

As Jane Hamsher says... Boy, I'd sure love to play poker with Harry Reid!

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Harry Reid is a spineless feck. I hope the Reps. win his seat in 2010.

14. mpshay macrumors 6502

Never thought I would hear that here. ;)

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

When something this shady goes down, it's deserved.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Honestly? Everything I'd read said that ANY attempt NOT to seat Burris was simply delaying the inevitable. I'm not a fan of this notion that because something doesn't strike us as "fair" that congress can arbitrarily change all the rules and make anything happen. It's kind of a kooky thought. The Governor has the power to appoint a replacement senator. While everyone tried to delay and gaffaw at Blago's bold move... no one had even the thinnest of legs to stand on. Why anyone wants to pretend otherwise is a mystery to me.

At the end of the day. Law is law. They can keep treading water, but if there's no land in sight, you're just doing more harm than good.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/13/burris-takes-senate-seat-after-clash-with-leaders/

~ CB

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I suppose, but this just seems insane to me. It is unbelievable that when something like this happens, we have no recourse. The governor has been impeached and the evidence so far is pretty damning. I'm extremely disappointed that it seems nothing could be done. I for one will be voting against this guy when the time comes. I've seen what he's done here, and I don't wish to see it at the national level.

19. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

The crazy part is that he made the appointment BEFORE he was impeached... because he's an *******. As long as election votes against Burris are based on Burris' fitness for the job and not what happened with Blago, I certainly agree. I never realized until this election, how expensive the voting process is to reboot, and why the original "power" would have been a decent solution to extraordinary circumstances. People like Blago shouldn't be anywhere near the ballot. He's the real slimeball in all of this (or as Mister Robinson says, "scum bucket").
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99269582&ft=1&f=1001

~ CB

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm glad he got seated.

Everything, despite the Blago impeachment, appears to have been done legally. The Senate really didn't have any legal standing to not seat him. Burris, despite his huge ego, seems to be clean. The people of Illinois deserve 2 senators just like every other state. Plus, the senate has more important things to worry about, and with the Democrats down a senator due to the fustercluck in Minnesota, we need every Democrat in the senate we can get.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

So they can continue to back down and give in to everything demanded of them by their opponents. Sounds great.

22. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

This seat is poison to whomever touches it.Weather it's right or not,Burris' credibility as a senator fell through the floor just by being appointed by this goofball.Therefore in my opinion,accepting the appointment shows poor judgment on his part.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not to mention the crap he pulled while in Illinois. I don't what credibility he had in the first place. Read post #11 for more details. The guy's not the best.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Democrats have a penchant for self-destruction and in-fighting. Uncharacteristically, seating Burris actually moved in the opposite direction of the usual.
    So, you'd have the Democrats dance a little more around the inevitable? I'm sorry, but that simply makes them look more toothless than you make them out to be. Were they entirely spineless, they'd never have tried to bluff around the appointment in the first place. It's important to call it as you see it... but if what you're seeing is distorted, its also important to correct the picture. Otherwise, what's the point? We all just go around demanding things that can't be done, and getting mad about them?
    ~ CB

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Then we need to change the law.

I'm sorry- a governor gets caught trying to sell a Senate seat, then makes an appointment anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it? That's messed up, and it needs to change.

It also shows Burris has no concern for the people of Illinois, only himself.