Senate Democrats Health Care Talk-a-thon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Night Spring, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Night Spring, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did anyone watch any of it? I feel like I'm watching a Voice episode of candidates vying for the 2020 Democratic Presidential nomination, and keep waiting for Carson Daly to show up and annnounce, "America, to vote for Senator X, text...'

2. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

C-Span. Started Monday night, and went on most of Tuesday morning, and maybe into the afternoon? Not sure. You can go to C-Span.org and look for Senate floor sessions from June 19 and 20.

3. Gjwilly, Jun 21, 2017

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

4. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay. That happened. But then so did this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_House_of_Representatives_sit-in

I don't know why the Republicans haven't resorted to turning off the lights this time.

EDIT: Oh, wait, those were the House. Maybe the Senate is more polite? :p

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Watched two Democrat interviews this morning about Healthcare and both of them just don't get it. One on CNN and one on FOX.
    The basic statements:
    1. If we get a handle on prescription drug prices all will be well with ACA and ...
    2. If we get a handle on copays, deductibles, etc, all will be well with ACA
    Premium costs and Insurance participation keep getting ignored. Talk-a-thons or not.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The focus on #2 because that is the cost sharing part of all of this that every voter must swallow, making people believe congress can make it smaller in an effort to gain votes is a fools errand. There's no such thing as a low deductible, no co-pay, no limits, Cadillac plan (which politicians want people to believe they can give them). But they'll keep trying to sell the idea.

7. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

What I never understood about the American insurance system is, why do insurance companies get to say which doctors you can see? Shouldn't insurance just pay for your medical fees, as long as it is provided by a properly licensed doctor or accredited hospital?

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Works both ways. When one of my daughters dropped from my insurance to another insurance she found she could not keep her doctor. Reason: Doctor stopped accepting as the issues and office costs to file with them and get successful payments was not cost effective. It adversely affect her financially.

It comes from both sides. I once asked my primary why she doesn't just accept all insurances; to complex. Too many variations and ways it has to be handled. Bet standardizing and simplifying would be a good thing.

btw - it was her husbands insurance.

9. BoxerGT2.5, Jun 21, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Some doctors are willing to accept lower reimbursement rates in exchange for being "in network". It's part of the managed care philosophy that boomed in the 70's. On the flip side some doctors stop accepting certain insurance plans. Our office stopped accepting and seeing anyone who carries the State of IL insurance plan (those who work for the state of IL) because the state is so broke we don't get paid. They tell us we'll get paid whenever they get paid. We have claims almost 2yrs old that are still pending.

10. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring