Senate GOP block Obama jobs bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dscuber9000, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Source

Unbelievable. Republicans somehow are still not over the ACA, and are willing to sacrifice American jobs over it. Hats off to Brown, Snowe, Collins, and Heller for having enough sense to get over the Obama-cooties and vote for a bill that will help businesses that keep jobs in America, and discourage businesses from shipping jobs overseas. I hope no other Republican utters one word about Obama's jobs record. Disgusting.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Screw everything, just make sure Obama doesn't get a good record in office.

Well too late for that :)

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well at least my Republican senator had the good sense to vote for it.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So they're all for tax breaks for big companies as long as those companies don't bring jobs to the US? That's sure to help them win!

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

These people need to go. It is now perfectly clear that the GOP wants nothing but power. This should have been a bill everyone agreed on.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A chink in the armour, that he may yet pay dearly for.

They are called party whips for a reason.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would love to see our GOP lovers here explain this one away.

Come on GOP lovers please explain why the party you so love would block this bill?

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Obama bad. Romney good. UGH.

Attached Files:

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Give them a chance.

They haven't heard how Limbaugh and Hannity are spinning this yet.

They need time to get their talking points in order.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well hell, if it's called "jobs bill," it must create ... jobs. How many does it create? Are they shovel-ready like last time? Why not double the number of new jobs and pass TWO Jobs Bills!

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it ever possible for you to simply comment in a reasonable manner? I know it's difficult for you, but give it a try.

12. Jb07 macrumors 6502

This is the basis of every Republican argument. From there they just pack on "facts" from Rush Limbaugh and Fox News and spout it to the world while ignoring any real facts that counter their arguments. Oh, and anything that makes Obama look good, enough if he did do something good, is pure liberal bull crap from NBC and Obama is destroying the country. /rant

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

just going to point out those shove ready jobs last time did not really create any new jobs. At most they delayed people getting laid off or losing their jobs. On top of that most of those jobs were at the very bottom lowest paid level that most people do not work. It pretty much physical labor.

I love how this is your try to spin it.

This type of bill would truly bring back a fair number of middle class jobs to the US.

14. dkersten macrumors 6502a

I tend to think more conservatively and therefore usually side with Republicans, but this is utterly ridiculous. How are we supposed to to start to stimulate the economy if people don't have a job and therefore can't spend money.

Its not just Republicans either. While they are in the wrong on this issue, its not like the Democrats haven't had questionable views on other issues.

The real problem is that the two parties have become so extreme in opposite directions that they can't agree on anything and therefore nothing gets done. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER AMERICA. Our country is going down the drain....

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

As it stands, the bill will create zero jobs -as the Republicans have proven once again that they have no issue cutting off their noses to spite their face.

They're screwing over you and me and everyone else in this country because they just can't agree with anything coming from our Democratic President.

Keep on joking around and adding absolutely nothing to these discussions - you fall nicely in line with those who you support - I sincerely hope you enjoy another 4 years of Obama. :D

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only solution is to vote everyone out and just start over. I don't even think they know what they are voting for anymore just passing the political hot potato and saying "not it". It is just getting stupid and I think a 5 year old would do a better job. At least a 5 year old has more maturity than those in Washington.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How bout just taking away the tax cuts for moving ops overseas and call it a day. Do our corps really need more tax breaks?

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Define irony: The head of Obama's economic team is Jeffery Imelt of GE. Who outsources jobs left and right. If this was such a priority, why not construct a bill in the first 2 years when the Dems had total control? This was nothing more than political grandstanding based on who they're running against.

----------

In the end it's still cheaper to have a foreign work force, with less regulation. Take the tax incentives away, it won't change much if anything.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Huh? A bill to give tax breaks to corporations so that they insource jobs is political grandstanding because the people they are running against are? What? Republicans? Against America? Hate American jobs? What?

This could have been done in the first two years if they hadn't wasted so much time trying to build bipartisan support trying to bring the country back together after decades of republican divisiveness.

Really, so why do Republicans constantly talk about taxes as though they are all that is standing between corporations and new jobs? Are you admitting that they are lying?

(edit) Oh, and the non-partisan analysis of the bill is just shy of 1 million new jobs.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The more I hear things like this from the GOP, the more I get the idea that it's no longer about ideology, but the fact that Obama is *****. :(

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This bill should have easily passed. There is absolutely no reason it should not have.

If anyone in their right mind still thinks that Republicans are interested in what's best for the country, I don't know what to tell you, other than shame on you for being so blind.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yes it is nothing more than political grandstanding given the fact that tax incentives are only a portion of what companies look at when they decide where to do business. My guess is you've never owned a business?

Spare me the building bipartisan support, look around, this country is more divided than ever. Was it in the 1st or 2nd month in office when Obama told the right to get to the back of the bus?

See above, taxes are only part of the equation when it comes to deciding where to start a business. Regulation and workforce play a large roll in that as well.

Like I said, pass the bill, companies aren't going to flock back. The increase in wages by the American workforce will eat up any tax savings. The cost to comply with regulations isn't worth the headache.

I have no faith in projections, he projected 100K's of jobs created per month. He pissed away almost a trillion dollars and we are no better off.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have owned, managed, started, represented, advised and prosecuted businesses. So, I know a thing or two about taxes, regulations, laws, labor costs, etc... and how those play into supplier contracts for the auto and healthcare industries.

No, I won't spare you the bipartisan support. You look around at why this country is more divided. It sure as hell isn't because healthcare reform was passed. For DECADES, both parties talked about energy independence and healthcare reform because both parties acknowledged we have major problems we need to deal with. In 1993, the Clintons tried a form of healthcare reform, and the GOP agreed we needed reform, but we needed to use a free market system that utilized insurance and mandates. They told the American people that they wanted to defeat the Clinton proposal so they could enact their healthcare reform. After beating the Clinton proposal, they then ignored the problem.

A problem that happened to get worse and worse, especially after GWB amended the bankruptcy code to make it harder to discharge healthcare related debts in bankruptcy. In addition, he passed prescription drug benefits without paying for them, and with a massive donut hole that forced seniors to decide between drugs and food.

During the first two years of the Obama administration, the Democrats pushed healthcare reform. He didn't want to do "Romneycare writ large," he wanted a public option, single payor, medicare for all or universal healthcare. That's what his base wanted, but in an effort to pander to the right-wing, and the conservative members of his party, he fashioned a conservative form of healthcare reform.

Instead of agreeing with their own ideas the GOP spent massive amounts of special interest money to deceive the public about the health care bill.

Even now, you do NOT hear Republicans saying we don't need healthcare reform, just that they don't want it to be Obama's healthcare reform. They want to replace Obamacare with their ideas (ironic huh?).

One final thing. If taxes are "part of the equation" aren't you admitting that an adjustment to that variable will affect the outcome? X+Y+Z does not equal 1.35X+Y+Z. If you want to work on Y and Z too, let's do so, but don't tell me we can't start with X.

So, you started your post with the assumption I was less informed than you because you were one of those praise-worthy "job creators" who ran a business. Please, do enlighten me with your well reasoned and factually based arguments. I can't wait.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well do not forget the GOP is bought and paid for by the mega rich and big corps. Those guys do not want to give up those nice tax breaks that they are lining their pockets screwing over everyone else.

But like you said the GOP no longer cares about the people or what is best for the economy but instead what is best for the rich and themselves.

----------

I could listen to the GOP on repeal and replace Obamacare if they put up an offer to replace it with something. Instead it just repeal and put no other options on the table. This means I have less than zero faith of them bring something else to table to replace it with. They will repeal it and do nothing but leave us in worse position than before.

So yeah GOP is the problem. They block everything and refuse to do anything to fix the problem. The fact that our congress is now decided in primaries for the most part means that we are controlled by the exetremes of the parties. They are not scared of losing the general election but scared of losing in the primary. This goes 10x for the GOP. Look at how much more time and money they have spent attacking other GOP members in the primaries compared to the dems.

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Really, so David McKalip who sent this below is a liberal?
    [​IMG]

Nice GOP badge, put me down for two.
    [​IMG]

Charming Ol' Dear. Liberal no doubt.
    [​IMG]

Classy, right wing nut daddy teach you that?
    [​IMG]

Don't need many guesses to work out what this 'liberal' was saying.
    [​IMG]