Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley-Trump not under FBI investigation.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, May 11, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/05-11-17 Grassley Statement.pdf

"Mr. Comey was asked if the FBI is investigating the President. He refused to answer. Mr. Comey said he didn’t want people to over-interpret his refusal, but that he wasn’t going to comment on anyone in particular. He thought it would put him on a slippery slope of having to answer who else is or is not under investigation. That could reveal who is being investigated. I understand why he took that position, but I don’t agree – at least not when it comes to the President and senior government officials. The American people deserve to know if senior government officials are under active criminal or intelligence investigation. Mr. Comey did brief Ranking Member Feinstein and me on who the targets of the various investigations are. It would not be appropriate for me to reveal those details before the professionals conducting the investigations are ready. So, I will not answer any questions about who are targets of the ongoing Russia investigations. But I will say this: Shortly after Director Comey briefed us, I tweeted that he should be transparent. I said he should tell the public what he told Senator Feinstein and me about whether the FBI is or is not investigating the President. On Tuesday, the President’s letter said that Director Comey told him he was not under investigation. Senator Feinstein and I heard nothing that contradicted the President’s statement. Now Mr. Comey is no longer the FBI director. But the FBI should still follow my advice. It should confirm to the public whether it is or is not investigating the President. Because it has failed to make this clear, speculation has run rampant. The intelligence community said that one of the Russians’ goals is to undermine the American public’s faith in our democratic institutions. Wild speculation that the FBI is targeting the President in a criminal or intelligence inquiry is not just irresponsible and unfounded. It provides aid and comfort to the Russians and their goal of undermining faith in our democracy."

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Your story headline is misleading. It needs to be changed immediately. Per the statement in your link and even quoted in your post:

Your headline states things as if Grassley has stated that Trump is not under investigation. Rather than he just hasn't heard or seen such info. That's a big difference.

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

No, It's quite simple:

"I said he should tell the public what he told Senator Feinstein and me about whether the FBI is or is not investigating the President. On Tuesday, the President’s letter said that Director Comey told him he was not under investigation. Senator Feinstein and I heard nothing that contradicted the President’s statement."

It's pretty cut and dry whats going on here. You're trying to deflect the truth. He told us what is going on here. You can cherry pick and use word play, but it's quite obvious of what the truth is.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your telling lack: the letter came from the POTUS, not from the FBI or anyone else that should go straight to the Judiciary Committee. In short, you're believing what Trump is telling Grassley, not what the FBI has told the Committee.

Grassley's statement effectively means nothing, because no proof of investigation from the FBI has been turned over to him. Trump is trying to head off a claim that may or may not exist, and you're falling for it as much and badly as the coyote falls off the cliff from trying to catch the roadrunner. The only difference is: the coyote's falling off the cliff is funny.

BL.

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I'm still unclear. The truth is that Donald Trump claims Comey told him he wasn't under investigation. Was/Is he under investigation? Still TBD as far as I can tell.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, it's actually not. If he and you are implying that Comey said something to them in private closed session, then Grassley violated that closed door confidentiality and should probably be brought up on leaking ethics charges of some sort. Otherwise what is the point of closed sessions?

If you mean what Trump said then all I can say to that is:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

funny.

7. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Keep telling yourself that, but the proof is in the pudding. Even Feinstein agreed. This Russian collusion conspiracy crap is DOA, game friken OVER!
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    Oh, please. He's tired of this crap. This is nothing but Liberal MSM boogeyman crap that has infected our electoral process for that last several months.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Quick, form an investigative committee to investigate the investigative committee!

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

She did not agree. You are being totally false in your statements and are only repeating what the President, a known liar, has said. Why do you believe this man? Why do you believe the person that very well could be the ultimate subject of an investigation? Do you also believe that Nixon is not a crook, that 9/11 was faked and that Ted Cruz's father had something to do with the JFK assassination?

My goodness. In this very forum there is a post today where Trump thinks people graduate college at age 20. Not the brightest bulb. And again, a habitual pathological liar.

Too much.

10. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Let the facts speak for themselves, I'll let rational members here decide what's true based on the facts. I quoted a respected Senator from official Government channels, who pretty much said President Trump is not being investigated. I think you guys are fighting a lost battle at this point...

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He only quoted what the president (a habitual liar) said. How is that rational? There is a NYT story tonight where Comey is refuting that he ever told Trump that. Does that really sound like Comey? A guy that plays things close to the vest? Illogical. And again not rational.

You really need to stop hanging onto Trump's every word as if they were true. Hasn't he lied enough for you to understand that?

Also "pretty much said" is not stating things as a fact. Asking for confirmation is not a fact. Again your headline is misleading fake news and needs to be changed.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Comey did brief Grassley and Feinstein on who the actual targets of the investigation are. It's not just the letter as the source. Grassley is just saying, in that briefing, he didn't hear anything to contradict the assertion that Trump is not the target. Strongly implies Trump isn't the target without actually coming out and saying it.

13. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

They're being intellectually dishonest.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If Comey briefed Grassley and Feinstein as to who the targets of the investigation are, then why would Trump have to send a letter to Grassley and Feinstein saying that he isn't being investigated? No-one does anything as dumbfounded as that, and instead would let those conducting the investigations finish their job and let their actions back up his assertion. If it turns out that Trump is under investigation, he's made himself look even more of a fool publicly than he already has. If anything, Trump should shut the hell up and not say a damned word until all of this is done, for every time he opens his mouth, his foot is going so far down his throat, it's starting to prolapse out of his arse.

And more than that, he's taking his supporters, including those in this thread, down with him.

BL.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If he's not now, I wouldn't be surprised if he will end up being.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Again a breach of confidentiality. He cannot expect the FBI to confirm something in public that is being said in closed sessions.

Also, it might be true that Trump isn't the subject of an investigation now, but that doesn't mean that he is off the hook yet. They are still in the middle of things. Things change and people talk to save their own butts. Grand juries have been formed. Subpoenas have gone out. That's not a trivial matter no matter how Trump supporters attempt to spin things.

Trump supporters are jumping the gun in their wish for this all to go away. Not even close to being the end of this yet. I imagine Flynn is in hot water considering White House lawyers are reportedly telling Trump to not contact him. Possibly Manafort too. Maybe Stone. Not sure about Page. He's a weasel but not sure if he has done anything illegal. Time will tell and we shall see. But if anyone thinks nothing at all is going to come out of all of this, they haven't been paying attention.

17. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, so now you admit he's not under investigation. This crap is such a **** show on epic proportions.

18. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Yes the Trump administration truly is.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow...now you are fake newsing MY words. That is not what I said. You need to seriously stop with your false interpretations. Now. Immediately.

20. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Admit it, he's not "currently" under investigation. Please admit it. I dare you!

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I am a liberal. But if Trump is not the target of the FBI investigation, then he's not the target of the investigation. I'm only interpreting Grassley and Feinstein's statements here.

It's not an "if"... as it says in the OP, "Mr. Comey did brief Ranking Member Feinstein and me on who the targets of the various investigations are."

He then added that he heard nothing in that briefing to contradict Trump's statement that he's not a target. That suggests, without directly admitting, Trump is not the target.

If it later does turn out Trump was the target, then Feinstein and Grassley ought to apologize for the very misleading statements.

Yeah, well Grassley is saying he wants the FBI to come out and publicly disclose whether or not Trump is the target to calm the public. We'll see what ends up happening.

And you're right... if Trump is not the target, then who is? Lots of things could still happen.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm not in the FBI. Thus making such a statement would be the very definition of fake news. Maybe that's your thing, but it's not mine.

Even the President doesn't know for sure if people are looking into him somewhere out there. Or which one of his people might be talking. It's a big planet. And this isn't even halftime yet.

See that's the difference between you and me. You don't even want an investigation at all, despite all the odd little things. Just bury the head in the sand...nothing to see here. That's not how things are done.

Here’s the steps:

1. Notice anomalies
    2. Investigate anomalies, gather evidence
    3. If anything illegal is found, make charges
    4. Prove your case before a judge
    5. Case is decided and accused is either guilty or innocent
    6. If guilty, sentencing commences.
    That's how things work. You want to short circuit the process and jump straight to number 5 and proclaim innocence. I on the other hand want them to go through steps 1-3 and then proceed further if they find something. It seems like Flynn might have done something wrong. Especially with him asking for immunity. But again, time will tell.

23. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

You're a fair and honorable man, I'll give you that. Regardless of our political affiliations I created this thread to spread the TRUTH. I'm glad there are people like you who think logically.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

IMG_2764.JPG

......if you look for it. But you can't find it if you aren't even willing to look.

25. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Pfft.. Now you're just mocking me.:(