Senate Judiciary subpoenas Karl Rove

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FFTT, Jul 27, 2007.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Senate_Judiciary_Chairman_to_subpoena_Karl_0726.html

Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy announced Thursday he had subpoenaed White House adviser Karl Rove and his deputy. He accused them of stonewalling a widening probe into the firing of federal prosecutors.

"The Bush-Cheney White House continues to place great strains on our constitutional system of checks and balances," Leahy said in issuing the subpoenas. "Not since the darkest days of the Nixon Administration have we seen efforts to corrupt federal law enforcement for partisan political gain and such efforts to avoid accountability."

The Judiciary Committee issued subpoenas to Rove and Deputy White House political director J. Scott Jennings. The deadline for testimony and documents is Aug. 2 at 10 a.m.

"We have now reached a point where the accumulated evidence shows that political considerations factored into the unprecedented firing of at least nine United States Attorneys last year," Leahy said, according to The Associated Press.

Good day sunshine! ;)

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Bush fires nine prosecutors and it's "unprecedented" but the prior administration fires ALL of them and Leahy says not a peep?

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do we really have to get into this again? Almost every administration fires the attorneys at the beginning of their term. Very few attorneys have ever been fired in the middle of a presidential term and those that have had obvious performance issues. These attorneys were all doing satisfactory jobs when reviews came up and many were involved in investigations that make it look like the firings were almost purely for political purposes.

Once again I have to bring up my favorite digg quote (unfortunately the exact wording is lost at the moment):

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'd love to see ol' Leahy try to spar with Rove on this one. I guess if Leahy and the rest of congress have nothing better to do than hold hearings these days, this would be one of the best rated ones.

5. stillwater macrumors regular

Your republican talking points are getting really stale.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One could say that your Democrat talking points are getting really stale as well! ;)

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Bush says they are all going to ignore any subpoenas anyway. Unfortunately, I don't think this will go much further unless someone can find around Bush using his "executive privilege" constantly.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The difference is the foaming at the mouth from the usual suspects towards the current admin while congruent behavior from past admins generates only a slight raising of the eyebrows.

Put Rove on that stand, please do. If only that would stop the left from bitching. :)

I just can't wait until this dork is out of office and I can listen to all the moaning about the new Democrat in office.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Plenty of us were just as pissed at Clinton for the crap he pulled. Part of Bush's pledge when campaigning in 2000 was that he was going to restore "Honor and Integrity to the White House." Now they seem to think they only need to be as honorable and ethical as Clinton and that's OK?

Do murderers get to use the But, but... OJ defense at trials now? Since when does someone doing something wrong and getting away with it allow others to do it as well?

Let's not forget Clinton was impeached... If only this administration could pull that Clinton feat off as well....:D

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You voted for Bush?

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What would give you that idea?

I could be angry with some of the crap Clinton pulled and still think Gore was a better candidate in 2000, and by 2004 Bush had already proven that the "Honor and Integrity" pledge was just typical campaign rhetoric.

Why does being angry with a particular politician require me to completely disown the whole party?

I would have voted for McCain if he had gotten the nomination, I liked him in 2000... I think he's gone senile since then.

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Of course, we should just let the executive branch and associates do what they want, after all they are the executive branch. :rolleyes:

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No kidding, especially when the troops stay right where they are and expand support into Pakistan and possibly Iran. I can hardly wait to hear the expletives directed at the next Prez.

14. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's not just this one issue.

It's everything combined and the people have had it.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What Democratic talking points?

Bush is abusing his power. His cronies are abusing their power. Apparently, despite all evidence to the contrary, some of you are still ok with that. Your only excuse being that Clinton lied about a bj. Even though most of us had issues with that as well. This is a bad thing. They've been caught lying. Red handed. Again. Yet still you defend, even though you've got no defense.

We've been over this so many times, I don't even know why we should bother having to explain to you again what is actually happening and why it's a bad thing, since it's obviously falling on deaf, partisan ears.

16. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

So now Rove will be a no show too with George Bush once again thumbing his nose at a Congressional Subpoena.

I'm pretty sure Congress knew that this was going to happen, so now I'm pretty much convinced they have some sort of step by step plan or all of this is simply posturing to keep the masses at bay.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Ahem.

*cough*

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure they'll make a big deal about it, then do nothing again.

Prove me wrong Congress! :mad:

19. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Congress needs to get rid of Gonzales and then figure out a way to get
    Rove on the stand under oath.

Obviously, the Bush administration is circling their wagons to prevent
    this from happening.

I'm already wondering how long it will take before Rumsfeld's testimony about the Tillman cover-up is proven false.

All of them belong in prison.