Senate leader plant to rush health care bill to vote - democrats can't do a thing about it

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 19, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...crats-can-do-about-it/?utm_term=.f1db2bea2064

And I know someone will reference how Obamacare was passed. But let's focus on the present. As tax payers - I believe we have a right to see and have experts analyze the bill prior to the vote. That's not a partisan issue. That's an issue of transparency and being able to voice our opinion to those that serve us. Any party that hides the entire process from view of the citizens of this country should be called out on it.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I just wanted to thank the OP for the title "Senate leader plant ...", which brought back memories of Ollie North's lawyer.

I'm also wondering what "rush" means to a plant. Is that like a month? "Hey Stalwart Oakenfirm, don't rush anything, give it a century or so. You don't want to be taken for an annual. You're a woody-stemmed perennial, so act like one."

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Isn't this exactly how Obamacare got passed?

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sure, let's do what Pelosi was actually referring to in that quote. Let's get it out of committees so we can see what the final form will look like and see if it is acceptable to the American people.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is there an old thread on the ACA we can cross reference the liberal outrage on this board?

7. kobalap macrumors 6502

Trump supporters - only care what is in a healthcare bill when someone else is in office.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2017 ---
    Let's be careful there. Whenever we start trotting out facts, that's when liberals get proven correct.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. LET's see the bill..... hope there is no MANDATE there.
    2. must only happen to you for a reason :D

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. It in fact was not how Obamacare got passed. First off, Obamacare was a long 18 month process that had many hearings but secondly it had input from Republicans.

Now, we have not only no input from democrats on this, but no input from a single women even. Instead 13 men are working in a backroom hiding from the light of day.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/05/politics/senate-republican-health-care-men/index.html

Compare this timeline to where we are now:
    http://affordablehealthca.com/timeline-obamacare/

It does not look the same. This is a Republican rush job.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Dems should take it, healthcare is going to fall on it's face over the next 2 years, now they can blame Republicans.

Run a decent candidate on Medicare for all in 3 years and it's in the bag.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

13. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

GOP is doing exactly what they criticized about Obamacare when it was passed.

Why don't both sides get together and come up with a compromise solution that will have a chance of surviving each election cycle? This is such an unstable situation - every two years the health care law could change which is not good for the economy. Insurance companies are already complaining about the uncertainty. Politicians have become so partisan and philosophically rigid that nothing is getting done.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How do you know there aren't any bribes/kickbacks? Have you read this bill?

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The way the democrats passed the ACA I believe was unacceptable. There were backroom meetings, backroom deals, backroom negociations and the legislation was so extensive few people knew what the entire plan was. So much for ultimate transparency and barrring lobbiests.

And just as the democrats were wrong in passing the ACA in that manner, IMO so are republicans. Why should we allow politians to make decisions for nearly all Americans without providing transparency and allowing adequate representstion??

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Did you call out the Dems when they did it? Serious question. I wasn't around here then to know if you did or didn't.

But I do agree with you.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

18. Rigby macrumors 601

No. The ACA went through dicussions and hearings for about a year before it was put up for voting (that's why it was passed in 2010, Obama's second year in office). It also adopted a number of Republican amendments (which was done in an effort to win some votes across the aisle).
    How do you know? Nobody has seen it yet.
    That's a myth. At the time there were draft versions of the ACA that had hundreds of annotations by both Democrats and Republicans. There were quite a few people on both sides of the aisle who knew exactly what was in the law.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I agree - I wasn't implying it was the same - just that many on the right try to say it was....

20. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Did you feel the same with obamacare or whatever it's being called these days?

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You must have missed the post that explains how this is not the same scenario

22. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It is very close to being the same.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not really.

24. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Yeah ok.