Senate Overwhelmingly Votes to Require Women to Register for the Draft

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Jun 21, 2016.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat..._require_women_to_register_for_the_draft.html

Supported by McConnell, opposed by Cruz...

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh just get rid of the stupid draft already.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Silly measure in the 21st century.

I signed up for selective service when I was 18 at the post office.

Given the increase in technology since then, this is largely a meaningless endeavor. The government has everything they need stored somewhere already.

Not to mention the odds of another draft is low to non-existent. Combat technology has evolved. There will never be another Normandy again. We just don't need people in that way anymore.

5. 617aircav Suspended

This had to happen. You can't have women in combat and then not have them in the draft. Equality is good.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Senate vote on this topic is a BS feel good measure.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There is no draft. This is about registering for the draft, i.e., making information available about how you can be contacted in the event that a draft was initiated. And don't think you're safe if you do not have the physique to be a soldier, for my grandfather was drafted both in WWI and WWII because he was a chemist.

Also, it is amazing how opinion swings. After 9/11 many men updated their profiles voluntarily, including older ones who took the selective service to court for age discrimination because the government apparent didn't want the details of older men.

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Would we have won the Second World War with women on the front line? No.

If you wish to build the best army in the world, you have only men in combat.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The selective service process and management is a throw back to an obsolete era. It was enacted back in 1917. Long before computers, social security cards, easily referenced credit reports and driving license information.

The entire program could be scrapped and turned over to OPM, managed 100% electronically and be seamlessly put into action if needed.

It's a waste of time to put it to a vote.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We probably would have. Israel does a pretty good job with women in combat, as do the Kurds.

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Other developed countries, doing better than the US as well, have a draft. Or are you saying the US isn't worth it anymore?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2016 ---
    People want equality, why should it be selective? McConnell is right on this issue.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You realize there is no draft ?

You just have to register at age 18 in case they need to start a draft.

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

Even for you this is a disgusting post. Do you realise that the majority of FOE operatives operating behind enemy lines were female?

Or are you just so sexist you don't care?

As much as I disagree with a draft, if you are going to have a register in case one is needed then it as a very good step that both men and women sign up. Equality is always welcome.

14. bent christian, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I support this measure, but there won't be another draft any time soon. No worries, ladies. The quickest and most embarrassing way to end a war is to drag your middle class in against its will. The military will continue to prey on an the unsuspecting and easily manipulated underclasses, those who have few other options and will willingly roll the dice on a march into the meat grinder.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2016 ---
    This is true.
    For every one soldier on combat there are many more who work in support. A whole supply line exists, logistics and communications extend back to the native country.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There will never again be a draft so Selective Service registration is pointless.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Until the Zombie Apocolypse

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Better plan would be to end the selective service already. What a waste of money. Only the government would continue to spend money on a system they haven't used for 40 years and will never use again.

Torch it and use that money on something that's actually useful, like fixing some damn bridges.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no, it should actually be mandatory.

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree. In the event we are again faced with a war that requires a huge human army and thus a draft (which is pretty unlikely), I'm sure the NSA has sufficient identifying information to round everyone up.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I'm not worried, I watched Zombieland so I already know what to do. Just need to find a wichita :eek:

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Women should have to register. That said, it's time to stop wasting money on a system that will never be used again.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Because nothing says "free country" better than forcing people to be mandatory cannon fodder for the profits of our defense contractors?

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is an absolute difference of opinion between us. I served in the volunteer military (USN) for 10 years. For a country that seems hellbent on foreign adventures, a draft is a necessity, share the pain across demographics, not centered on the poor, and remove exemptions for the children of well todo citizens. We want war, we can all enjoy the suffering on a personal level. Maybe we'd think a bit harder about priorities, instead of kneejerk sending your kids off to war.

24. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Though I believe that men are usually better for the job, it's not absolute. There are some (probably a small percentage) of women who can out do many men in combat/infantry.

The only downside to front line combat I see for women could be their menstrual cycle which many manage with injections or implants anyway, so it's may be a non-issue.