Senate panel votes to raise California gas tax 12 cents a gallon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...o-raise-californias-gas-tax-12-cents-a-gallon
    we pay nearly a buck more per gallon compared to other states already. God these people suck.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Long-time resident of California ... could not care less about this price hike.

It's going to cost me about eight cents per day.

And since I care so little, that's probably all I'll have to say about this issue.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

too many feel good clowns in this state.

5. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

But what about the poor folk you guys always claim to support? Feeding their family? Getting to work? ;)

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Thank you for sharing your non-comment on this non-issue. No one else in the world matters, so this must be irrelevant.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The gas tax is used to pay for repairs to California's roads and highways. And nationwide, the poor condition of our road system is costing average drivers close to two thousand dollars a year in excess wear on their cars, suspensions, tires. In accidents, injuries, and wasted commute times.

The roads in much of this country are in shockingly bad condition. I've seen "rough surface" warning signs on many Interstate highways. Thats a disgrace. Much of that is due to the (Republican) Congress refusal to pass a comprehensive Transportation bill. Or to raise the national gas tax, which hasn't been increased since 1993.

Not only do todays cars get much better mileage than the clunkers we were driving in 1993, but the over price index has increased by more than 60%,

Roads have to be paid for somehow. And the gasoline tax seems like the fairest (albeit somewhat regressive) means of doing so.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Interesting. Of the 53 congressmen/women in California. 14 are Republican. Clearly in the majority.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/CA

Am I missing how this is the Republican's fault? I mean I know everything always is, but yeah.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dare I say comprehension fail?

First sentence he references California only. Then he switches to nationwide. You may want to re-read his post.

BL.

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Fair enough and probably. But this being a California thread I'm talking about California.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Forcing car owners to spend thousands on extra maintenance hardly seems like a good use of money...

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is a completely regressive tax that unfairly targets the poor. But PRSI criticism will be minimal because California is controlled by Democrats.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

God forbid we use military funds or find another source besides taxing the people :rolleyes:

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Well, Georgia's controlled by the Republicans, and the state reinstated their gas tax when the price per gallon went down below $3 for the first time in oh so many years.

So...I dunno...I guess I should be mad. But I'm not.

15. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Soooooo glad we moved out of California. I-15, as it runs through northern Utah, is top-notch. The speed limit is 80 in unpopulated areas (too fast for me). Highway projects are finished ahead of time and on budget. I'm not sure if that has ever happened in California. Last time we drove on Highway 99 from Bakersfield to Merced, it felt like we were 4-wheeling.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You haven't been on I-40 through Oklahoma. In parts of it, including Oklahoma City, the bridges are literally falling apart. they've spent years working on them to no avail, and no-one wants to concentrate on any of the infrastructure there.

Ironically, the only place where the roads were actually somewhat were the Muskogee, Indian Nation, Cimmarron, and Creek Turnpikes, and that was because they are toll roads. Every other interstate highway there is horrible. I-44, I-35, Turner Turnpike, H.E. Bailey Turnpike, I-40... you'd be replacing your shocks more than you'd be replacing your tires.

@vrDrew is right; our roads here are absolutely horrible, and any talk about fixing/reinforcing/overhauling them has been met with constant 'no!' from the opposition, because they believe it will cost too much.

BL.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

people are tired of being taxed over & over & over.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Or saying we are raising the gas tax to fix the roads and using the money for something else.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

But we pay less taxes now than we have in decades.

It's like we want to have our cake and eat it too. We want the country growing and bustling like we had in the 50's and 60's, but we're too greedy to invest our hard earned money into the nation we all claim we love, and call it "punishing the rich for being rich" when we try to tax them like we have in the past.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the rich don't care about a 12 cent tax on gas or a $35 hike on licence plates[​IMG]

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's weird seeing you suddenly argue for a progressive tax setup.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

I am a less taxes kind of guy, except for things that suit me of course :D

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You know, that picture is the one that reminds me best that Sam Jackson is originally from my neck of the woods.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

SJ Is a cool peep, IO am heading home, catch you later.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

Repeating this over and over doesn't actually mean that taxes are higher than they were previously. Just as stores don't "raise prices" after sale.