Senate passes stopgap spending bill, $1.1B to fight Zika

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pelosi-aide-says-deal-speaker-ryan-covers-flint-115227838--politics.html
    kick the can down the road to 20 trillion in debt, yayyyy

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

1.1 billion to kill mosquitoes but only 200 million to fix the problems with water treatment and delivery???

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah and a nonbinding promise at that on the water. they better come through on it or there'll be hell to pay.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they have put off the water problem for so long I am surprised they did anything.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL the media should follow the private money: could be the bottled water lobby for all we know.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Do not you trust our govt?

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

:D was that a serious question? All this time and these dolts make a nonbinding promise to fix the Flint water.

I haven't been to a protest march in a few years. I just picked out a couple walking sticks from rogue maples I had cut down earlier in summer. They'll be ready enough when Congress resumes work, and I'll be ready too!

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the sweet smell of fried mosquitoes in the evening.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Further on the delay in actually funding the Zika vaccine research...

There is something really perverted about the Republicans having held up Zika vaccine funding because they didn’t want to fund Planned Parenthood.

Think about it. Because they despise the idea of a women being able to choose to terminate a pregnancy, the Republicans were willing to delay the development of a vaccine to prevent a terrible birth defect in human brains that is caused by the Zika virus, which is not only mosquito-borne but can also be transmitted sexually by infected women and men. The virus is now known to persist in semen for weeks, even months.

Not only would the Republicans deny a woman an abortion in the case she chose not to carry a Zika-harmed fetus, they would also deny her the vaccine to ensure that her baby would be Zika-free. This from a party that has claimed to be pro-life.

The old saw used to be that the GOP was only pro-life until an infant was born. The revised version is maybe they’re only pro-life until conception. If that sounds like a policy moving in the wrong direction, welcome to the insanities of the dying Republican Party.

That delay in funding for Zika vaccine research persisted for 233 days. Meanwhile:

“I think most people don’t realize that in the U.S., including our territories, Puerto Rico mainly: 23,000 cases of Zika already,” Burwell said. “Here in the 50 states there are over 3,000 cases. And the other thing I think most people don’t realize is that we’ve already had 21 births in the 50 states and territories—children who are born with microcephaly and test positive for Zika.”

In the interim, President Obama had the sense to shuffle some health dollars to Zika research temporarily from already appropriated monies for Ebola, and in August when Congress still had not acted, also shuffled money that had been appropriated for cancer research. All this while the GOP dithered over what price to exact for appropriating funds for the vaccine research. In the end, they went for a little over half what Obama had asked for. Perhaps the deduction was penalty for Obama finding a way for government to act with some human decency in the meantime.

Maybe we need Congress critters who will pledge not to attach unrelated amendments to pending legislation. I realize it's not just Republicans who engage in that practice. Let both parties pledge to work out deals over supper and a handshake instead of attaching poison paperwork to each others’ legislative proposals.

This latest example of partisan gridlock was just despicable. It's why voters have begun to loathe both sides of the aisle no matter their own party registration.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You won the Internet today.