Senate rejects Trump immigration plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This leaves them in limbo, for the moment. We'll have to see if they can meet in the middle and find a bipartisan solution to the current Trump inspired crisis. Trump has already been saying that he will veto any bipartisan deal that makes it through if it isn't his own non starter.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/374087-senate-rejects-trump-immigration-framework

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

And when March 5th rolls around the Democrats had no one to blame but themselves for DACA illegals being deported.

Trump offered up a rational and middle of the road solution and it was shot down.
    Democrats offered up giving them everything they want and not getting single thing in return.

4. 0007776 Suspended

Lol, what? Trumps proposal was give me everything I want and you get nothing, and I'll veto anything else. If nothing gets done which looks likely this should all go on Trump's head.

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Getting better border security and fixing/building walls will help prevent more DACA children from getting back into the U.S. Once they hear DACA people will be staying will be an incentive for more to come. Trumps plan sounds good to me.

6. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Which is why Trump offered to shield 3x illegal aliens than enrolled in the illegal aliens DACA program to begin with. Got it.

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Neither party really wants to change anything, too much vested interest in the way the system works now.

The perpetual third class "citizen", with no real rights.

I think Trump is acting in good faith, in an attempted to make the laws better.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Now that is an idea... extreme partisanship is another... not seeing much else why this isn't moving... :(

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh...the math says that’s simply not the case. 39 yeas....how is that the Democrats fault? The party in control couldn’t even muster the majority needed under regular rules....

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

One word: no
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    Trump's plan gave them DACA and a path to citizenship for 1.8 million. Without that the government is stuck with a database of people who are in the country illegally and a mandate to enforce the current laws.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This is what happens when a conman who runs as a deal maker can’t make deals.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You realise Mexico will probably refuse to take them?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    The border states are the new swing states. So I think this sort of thing will be solved fairly soon.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    I have to say I’m not sure what the big problem with Trumps plan is.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Also, why do we need wall funding when Mexico is paying for it? Or was that just another load of bull ****? Trump has an ability to not just lie, but tell a fable people believe. “We will annex North Korea from the planet. We will put them in space, and Mongolia will pay for it!”

If Trump had said it, his supporters would explain why it was feasible.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Last countries who tried this were sanctioned, if they are citizens of Mexico they will take them. They are already bent over a barrel on NAFTA.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Trump’s plan was the most radical and mean-spirited change to the US immigration system proposed by any president in modern times. He wants to drastically cut legal immigration, and effectively shift the bulk of those legal immigrants who can get in to whiter, Euoropean sources. Please don’t pretend that his plan was some sort of benevolent compromise. It was not, and no Democrat with an ounce of compassion and common sense was ever going to vote for it. Tying DACA to that plan was a nonstarter for the majority of members of Congress.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source. Because that sounds like a poison pill.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Just because Liberals want to use immigration policy to implement the social change they want, doesn't mean that Trump is trying to whiten up America.

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Uh, Trump is insisting on changes to the current immigration system that will result in a smaller percentage of legal immigrants who are minorities. Those are just the facts. It’s not a change from “what liberals want.” It’s a change from the current law.

And, the more I think about this, the more astonishing I find it that Trump could have taken the bipartisan deal, which included funding for his wall, and declared victory, but instead insisted on a position that everyone knew was doomed. He really is just an incredibly inept negotiator.

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Let's be honest here. Neither side wants a solution to this with the midterms coming up. Both sides feel they have the leg up, pointing the finger at the other side for not doing anything.

20. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Whatever happened to Mexico paying for this stupid wall????? It's a waste of money and again why are the conservatives not calling him out for another outright lie??? He promised Mexico would pay, yet we are held hostage by him him now because of his stupid ass promise that makes zero sense.

21. RichardMZhlubb, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I agree, but keep in mind that the bipartisan deal Trump rejected actually agreed to fund the wall out of US tax dollars. He could have taken the deal and declared victory on his signature campaign issue, but he blew it.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You pretty much spin this kind of thing based on the event. If the Democrats went with this proposal, you would be back to calling them spineless. Trump has never offered anything rational. It's really just more nonsense that isn't really supported by any agency's recommendations. Even if it passed I suspect any part related to a wall would be tied up in the courts for a long time due to acquisition of private land and potential environmental impact.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not necessarily. Imagine how pissed off they (the entire US population) would be to find out that their taxpayer funds were going to something that he promised another country would pay. He would have failed on a major campaign promise, for the cost of our taxes.

He's lucky he blew it, otherwise he'd be called out for the lying arse he is.

BL.