Senate Republicans block Student Loan Refinancing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/student-loan-bill-stall-elzabeth-warren-107722.html

Since when did student loans start being about the government making more money? They already banked $40 billion in profits in 2013 on the backs of former students.

I received a good portion of my loans through Sallie Mae, which is pretty much known as a blood sucking corporation with terrible customer service, but even they were able to lower my interest rates on request to make payments more affordable after I graduated.

Its bad enough that the poor are unable to escape the crushing debt of student loans after an economic downturn, but now the government won't even let them refinance so they can make a dent in their actual loans? Might as well slap the chain on and tell them to work until their debt is paid or death.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This is just a political stunt. Below is a quote from your link. This bill includes a tax increase…

Article I, Section 7, Clause 1
    All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives

3. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

So?

Aren't the Republicans the ones saying that we can't have more unfunded mandates?