Senator Josh Hawley introduces bill to ban social media features he thinks cause addiction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Not parody. The bill is called The Social Media Addiction Reduction Technology (SMART) Act. This is the same guy who recently introduced a bill removing immunity for tech companies unless they proved every two years to some new government bureaucracy that they were politically neutral. This is where the Trumpian Right is going. They want big government just as much as Democrats do.

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/sen-hawley-introduces-legislation-curb-social-media-addiction
    • Bans infinite scroll, autoplay, and other addictive features on social media
      • Infinite scroll, autoplay, and “achievements” such as “Snapstreak” exploit the science of addiction to make it difficult to leave a social media platform
      • Exceptions include music playlists, social media predominantly designed to stream music, and “achievement” badges that substantially increase access to new services or functionality
      • Social media platforms would have to include natural stopping points
    • Requires choice parity for consent
      • Companies would no longer be allowed to manipulate people into consenting by making it difficult to decline consent
      • Companies would have to design “accept” and “decline” boxes using the same formats, fonts, and sizes
    • Gives the FTC and HHS authority to ban other similar practices
      • Rules would expire after 3 years unless ratified by Congress
    • Gives users power to monitor and control their use time on social media
      • Social media companies must provide an in-app tool that enables users to track the time they spend on social media across all devices and allows users to impose caps on the amount of time they spend

2. LordVic macrumors 603

I thought the Republicans were the party of freedom and open economies.

This looks more like facist authoritarian overreach into the free market to control the political narrative in their own way.

That's as anti-freedom you can get...

3. samcraig macrumors P6

The only bullet I agree with is 2nd section, first bullet.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

There are real issues out there . Tim Carney has a good book on it. But they’re not issues that can or should be fixed by the government.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Republicans have always wanted big government, provided it wasn't for it's least well off & under represented citizens.

What we are seeing from this administration, is what we've always seen from developing dictatorships, any media or press that isn't favorable needs to be brought under control.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What needs to be done is get rid of the cause, take away big tech safe harbor rules and make all them be classified as Publishers!

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

What does that have to do with tech addiction?

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Republicans are about freedom and open economies unless the corporations are being run by liberals. Then it's time to regulate, censor, and expand government power.

To be fair, I do think tech addiction is a problem. One that we're still "reckoning" with. I'm not sure that this is the solution, however. At the same time, I feel like I might say that at any proposed solution. It's "we need to do something!" but when "something" is suggested it's "oh no, that's going too far..." Do we actually want to do something or not? Still, I think there may be a less intrusive solution than this proposal.

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So this bill would mandate every social media platform limit people to 30 minutes a day by default and if you override the default it would change back at the beginning of the month. What an unserious bill.

[​IMG]