Senator Manchin supports gun debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Dec 17, 2012.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Maybe finally we'll make some progress here.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...ewtown-shooting-open-141440511--election.html

2. chown33 macrumors 604

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's good to see high profile types step up, but I firmly believe that it's going to take a much greater tragedy than this before anything serious is accomplished. The NRA is too vocal and too callous to care about 'only' 20 kids.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think this time it struck a chord like never before. I really think we will see real change this time. It might take years for it to happen but I think the pressure is building and wont back down.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

We're coming up on the 2-year anniversary of the Gabbie Giffords shooting in Tucson (another "lone psycho" incident, FWIW). I don't recall any significant change in the Federal legislative landscape after her shooting.

Call me cynical, but I don't expect any significant change this time, either. Something mostly symbolic may pass, but I expect it to be roughly like the 1994-2004 "assault weapon" ban, both in scope and effectiveness.

6. ChristianJapan, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I do not think anything permanent will be done until there is a discussion about the relationship between the government and the people. Guns in the US are not just viewed as a means of recreation and protection from criminals, but as a deterrent to the formation of a tyrannical government. Given that the police and army are armed, and therefore an potential source of abuse of power, it would unsettle many in the US. Let us suppose that guns were banned in the US - would there be the political will to ban guns from police officers on routine patrol, as is the practice in the UK? Perhaps that is the way to go....

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Remove the weapon from the police will take another 10 to 15 years; until they can be safe that the number of circulating guns is drastic reduced.

But even after that I'm fine with each member of the police have a gun. UK is a great role model; but I don't feel bad in Germany or Japan where the police even on regular patrol carry a gun. It still give them a slight advantage in case needed to do their job.

But the strategy must be to reduce the number of events. I don't want to warm up the stories from NYC (Empire State Building or Broadway) earlier this year but I'm sure those would have been differently solved when the police could be more confident not to get shot.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You know the tide is shifting when the NY Post's opinion page writes this.