Senator Robert Byrd Dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 28, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All I have to say is if we can't vote these dinosaurs out, let them die.

Oh, Fox News headline, "Former KKK member dies while black president is in office". :D

Link

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Well, he WAS a member of the KKK... and probably the last member of the Senate to pass away who was a previous KKK member (representing to some, the end of an era) so yeah, I'd say that is news.

Anyway, RIP Democratic Senator Robert Byrd.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Senator Byrd:

R.I.P., thanks for your public service, and good riddance.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Shouldn;t it read, "One of our fellow KKK members dies while black president is in office"? :)

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He was a democrat, you guys get this one.

6. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

About time that old bastard died. Another entrenched, self-serving, lifetime politician from the old guard bites the dust. Good riddance.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The dude was a great speaker on the Senate floor.

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

...and at Klan rallies as well.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Really.. Can you give me some first-hand stories ? :p

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe during his first 60 years on the floor, after that he was just carted in for votes.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I know who Robert Byrd was people. Ok ?

I am familier with the KKK also. And Cheerios cereal.;)

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

. . . and whistling Dixie, no doubt.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Out With The Old

Thank you for your public service, and good riddance.

Enjoy whatever KKK membership bought you in the afterlife...

“ I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. ”

Nice guy, that Democrat.:D

He also filibustered the civil acts right of 1964 along with other Democrats.

But hey, at least the Democrat and ex-KKK member wasn't a tea bagger! Now that would have been scandalous and extremely racist!:D

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The 1964 civil rights act that helped end Jim Crow laws, including restricting voting to those who could pass certain intelligence tests? Now, that's the pot calling the kettle (anti-)black.

Have you ever heard of the Southern Strategy? The southern democrats were very-much the racists, up until the Republicans actively courted them. That's why Reagan did his famous "I'm running for election" speech in Philidelphia, MS.

Byrd had a checkered past, and I certainly did not agree with him for much of what he stood for, but unlike today's republicans who may not have joined the KKK, Robert Byrd apologized for his past mistakes.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It sad as it seems the only way to get these guys out of office is in a coffin.
    No one should be in office longer than any voter has been alive (18 years) Something is really wrong with that fact and the longer they are in office the harder it is to get them out.

This guy was proof of the reason we need term limits. He was in office for way to long. The fact that he had to die to leave office is sad in it self.

He may have apologized, but what's done is done. It's not that easy to erase the past or to erase facts from history.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

TOOO TRUE!

This "guy" Byrd, look at his political career! He started out as the guy supporting the lynchers, racists, idiots, then all of a sudden when civil rights became fashionable (rightly so), he apologizes and was then running on the party ticket that became known as the party for minorities. Makes me sick.

I am making a conscious effort to vote for people supporting term limits this fall and in 2012.

20. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Public apologies are meaningless.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Can you explain to me how your blanket assumption that Republicans are racist is even remotely true?

What have they done that shows evidence of "Racism?"

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who tried to do that? He apologized, that means he admitted to it, not that he tried to pretend it never happened.

I agree with Rodimus on term limits, we REALLY need them.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, how about his voting record? He actually got a 100% rating from the NAACP in 2004. He enjoyed the support of a large percentage of black voters.

Like I said before, he clearly had his issues, but how can RR be a saint for the Republican party when he never apologized for his past? (Maybe he never changed his mind?)

Southern Strategy, tax policies that destroy the poor and harm the middle class, voting records, "states rights" arguments, Arizona, drug policy, etc...

I don't know, I think there might be some reason to say that the Republican party might have some racist issues of its own. And, considering they ALL VOTE THE SAME EVERY TIME, I think a blanked statement is appropriate.

24. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

The funny thing is, is that the Democrats made him 3rd in line to become President. Yes, this man was three heartbeats away from the highest office in the USA because of the current Democrats in the Senate.

...and they say Republicans are bad... wow

OK, how about his pointy white hat? You know, like the ones people wore at lynchings.

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, nice profile pic Mr. Win. Appropriate for this thread. You're just mad Mr. Byrd abandoned his racism. Come on, admit it.