Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is seeking $225 billion to sequester proof F-35

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 6, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Apparently in an email to F-35 contractors, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is revealing his plans to secure at least $225 billion of F-35 funding, to counter any cuts or slowdown of work (sequestration or otherwise), and production of next 100 F-35's.

100 F-35 for $225 Billion?
    Really?

I used to work and have friends in defense contracting, good to see defense still thriving.
    (why did I leave? :( )

Should come as no surprise
    The F-35 is build in Ft Worth, TX, and the fresh Senator is a spare-no-dime supporter of it. During the Texas senatorial debates he vociferously supported the program.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Can't really blame him to be honest. That's a ton of money that's being poured into his area. I think they should scrap the damn thing, but really can't fault the guy.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Might as well just take a pile of $225 billion in cash and light it on fire.

The F-35 is a garbage pork program and it should have been cut a long time ago.

Our airpower with the F22, F/A-18, etc is still more powerful than any other country in the world and it will continue to be for some time.

$225 billion could go a LONG way towards fixing the thousands of structurally deficient bridges, roads, and other infrastructure that's crumbling in this country.

We can waste all the money we want on the military but what's the point? There isn't going to be much to defend when our entire infrastructure continues to fall apart. But hey, 50 years from now, at least we'll have plenty of fancy new fighter jets to defend the glorified land fill this place will become if we don't start addressing these REAL problems.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would rather spend that money to build more Raptors, fund a proper F-14 replacement, or I don't know, keep it in our pockets?

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I blame him. He voted for the sequester just like everybody else.

You don't like it then don't vote for it.
    Trying to find some loophole is disgusting.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Wait, aren't conservatives always complaining about liberals spending too much money? Ironic...

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

Or he can vote for it to try and appease the party and then vote to keep the project he wants to keep going, going.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Blame Cruz? He was not in office on the sequester vote. His term started early January 2013.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well in that case I still blame him..

I'm an American. I can screw up as much as the next guy.

:p

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

+!
    :p

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Taxpayers have a lot better things to spend 225 billion on than jets, scrap this **** now.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

"We need to make cuts across the board!"
    "We need $225 billion for some planes."
    "$225 billion is 53% of the welfare budget for 2013."
    "We need to cut other things, but not these planes!"

Seriously, $225 billion??? Why do we take any of these clowns seriously?

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The sequester is supposed to be equal cuts across the board.

If you wan't to keep building your jets make a deal to end the sequester.

I for one would like to continue having a job doing cancer research (also funded by the government, though to the tune of about 12 billion per year (for all gov funded cancer research. So I fail to see why the jets deserve such special priority :rolleyes:.

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

How much of a return will the American people get in $225 billion on jets that are designed to blow stuff up?

----------

Perpetual war equals profits for war profiteers. War profiteers fund campaigns.

It's all about the money for the small amount of people who will benefit and not the betterment of society as a whole. Hence the priority in destruction as opposed to construction.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can... The GOP wants to cut all social spending, but keep the war machine fully lubed up and ideally we should be in a war (as far as their thinking goes). We really need to bring the draft back and instead of children of poverty, make sure all of the top dog's kids are the first to go. This might actually change our war posturing a little... ;)

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well if you want to play the blame game, it's not like Democrats haven't been their partners in crime for the last decade.

17. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Because DoD contractors pay n fund Congress campaigns n Research field doesn't.. :rolleyes:

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not only that but in an attempt to get the GOP to battle their own decades long held beliefs, the Dems are now signing up (Drones, deportation, etc). Both parties are homogenizing in an attempt to get rid of the fringes, but whats left is a pile of ****.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ax the F-35. In its attempts to be all aircraft it is a master of none. It was a flawed concept from the start.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think it's all relative and partially based on our perspective. The GOP represents a group that went hog wild under W with credit card wars. Basically skyrocketing our debt was ok, for what they considered a good cause, but now they scream like stuck pigs, and want to pay for it by killing social programs, something they hate to begin with.

For the majority, their judgment is seriously questionable. I do blame the Dems for not standing up when they (GOP) marched to war with glee, representing a catastrophically, wasteful boondogle, not to mention a meaningless loss of life and tens of thousands of citizens and families who are permanently harmed by the experience.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sure it is. :rolleyes:

(But it's not)