Senator Ted Kennedy To Endorse Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Jan 27, 2008.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Boston Globe

This is a HUGE endorsement for Obama, and it comes just a day after Caroline Kennedy (JFK's daughter) endorsed him too.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I wonder if Ted Kennedy still packs much wallop in the party anymore. I suppose we'll find out.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This is a veritable coup. For the longest time, he was expected to be in the Clinton camp. It's less about how many votes he will actually move than it is about the way it changes the media narrative about the campaign.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you're right. It's probably going to be read as a repudiation of the Clintons by at least one part of the Democratic Party establishment.

5. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I don't think Kennedy's endorsement will sway any voters to Obama but it is certainly a blow to the Clintons when it comes down to super delegates. His endorsement means that the current leadership of the Democratic Party is willing to back an Obama presidency. The DNC is also beggining to show signs that they are tired of the Clinton's BS and that the Clintons are ultimately not electable in a national election especially against McCain. It is starting to become clear that McCain will probably win the Republican nomination. Many people in the DNC know that Hillary does not stand a chance against McCain. Hillary has no independent appeal what so ever while Obama does.

6. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No, no, consensus candidate when it comes to a floor fight at the convention! ;)

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe Kennedy should step down from his seat and give someone else a chance. I doubt he has much clout anymore.

9. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Watch Al Gore endorse Obama Feb 4th! That would definitively help the undecided voters who to vote for!!!! Keep the endorsements coming!

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not to be nasty- but is Ted Kennedy much more than the butt of a lot of jokes these days? I just don't see his endorsement meaning too much.

11. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

No thanks. He can stay. I'll keep voting for him, along with the rest of Massachusetts.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even with my slim grasp of American politics, I would have thought that it's for an internal and select party audience, rather than the public at large...

This whole election process is turning out out to be fascinating, have you guys got the stamina to last all the way until November?

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't worry, we'll take a long break for the baseball season

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I think you're right in a way- I just always thought he was joke in DC too. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

It's gotten to be even more intense since Bush got in office. Politicians are in constant campaign mode now. I can't wait til he's gone.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Massachusetts has its primary on "Super Tuesday" on Feb 5 and Kennedy's endorsement will certainly offer some help to Obama who is currently way behind in the polls in Mass. and is no doubt delighted to get the endorsement

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't it time the Kennedys get out of politics. Maybe if old Gas Bag Ted left we could get some stuff done in this country. Get rid of all the old coots and lets start over. I thought the only thing he was good for now was old drunk jokes.

In all seriousness, when was the last time Teddy did something useful. I don't hear his name much unless it is for a photo op.
    Don't forget that this is the first time in over 25 years that there hasn't been a sitting President or VP in office running. The field is so wide open and we haven't seen anything like this in a long time.

18. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

I hope so. Both of our senators (Kennedy and Kerry) and Governor Patrick have endorsed Obama, along with at least 1 representative.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh wow. Who made that? That's hilarious--awful, awful, awful, but hilarious.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It reminds me of a bumper-sticker I saw a few months ago:

"I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy."

Of course, my reaction was, those are my choices?

21. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/CGVRs

Ted's speech was pretty good, but Obama's was awesome.

22. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Maybe I'm crazy, but to me the Kennedy endorsement seems like the kiss of death.

All the media is focusing on is that the Clintons got blind-sided by Kennedy's endorsement of their chief rival, but this is only focusing on one aspect of the endorsement and not - in my opinion - the most important.

What the endorsement really says to me, and how I think it will be played out in the polls (and not the nightly news) is that it officially turns Obama - the outsider, the candidate of change - into the establishment's choice.

The Kerry nod opened the doors, and now the Kennedy endorsement seals the deal: all the political has-beens in the Democratic party that couldn't win two elections that were practically handed to them are behind Obama. That's just great, isn't it?

For the Democrats sake, I hope Hilary can manage to win the nomination, as these recent events have solidified Obama's position as same old same old and not a candidate of change.

If Edwards (probably the truest candidate of change the Democrats offered up in this year's primaries) gets behind Clinton, then I think they stand a chance.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's interesting, but I think you might be overanalyzing. Clinton was the obvious institutional favorite within the party, the known quantity with close ties to previous successes. Any time you see party stalwarts like Kennedy break with the predictable, it suggests a split at the core of the party. Clinton still has plenty of support within the apparatus, but what is emerging is that it's not as unanimous as we might have expected.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what party is more united, the Republicans will all back McCain if he gets the nom, what will the Dems do. The longer Hillary and Obama fight it out I see it helping the Republicans chances down the road.

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Heh. Well, we've made it through fifty-four (IIRC) elections so far, so this will be another.

And besides--Macky-mac got it exactly right--we'll take a long summer off for baseball, which will be temporarily interrupted by the snooze-fests we call conventions. Can't WAIT to see the traffic disaster here in August! :rolleyes: