Send audio from OS X to iOS (app equivalent of Airport Express)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dgrant, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dgrant macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am looking for an app that would allow me to send audio from my iMac through to an iOS device plugged into my speakers. Basically I'm after an app to make an iOS device behave somewhat like an Airport Express.

I am aware of various music streaming apps, but the ones I have seen are for people who want to 'pull' music from their iMac to their iPhone - ie controlling the song selection on the iOS device.

What I'm after is something to allow me to 'push' music from my desktop to my iPhone - I play music with iTunes (or watch a movie with VLC) whilst sitting at my iMac, and the audio comes out of my iOS device (or more usefully speakers plugged into it),

The reason is because I often move my iMac from my desk to my coffee table in front of my sofa - eg to watch a movie. My speakers however are too bulky to move easily, but it would be great to be able to plug my iPhone into my speakers, load an app and have all audio come not from my iMac, but from the speakers plugged into my iPhone.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Darren

2. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

3. dgrant thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Have you had a chance to test it out yet?

Let me know how it works please!! :)

6. dgrant thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just emailed to ask for a refund (policy).

At first I was very impressed. You can divert audio from a specific app, or all system audio. The interface is very smooth, and the iOS app is spot-on.

But there is an inherent problem that apparently stems from a limitation in AirPlay, the underlying Apple protocol; see here.

Needless to say the movie player they supply doesn't have the battalion of codec support of VLC (there's an obscure VLC hack to offset the audio but it barely works). The delay also renders the app useless for games, and it is simply annoying in all other cases (i.e. iTunes). It's not just play/stop that lags, it's also volume adjustments, EQ etc.

I also experienced pitch wavering when listening to iTunes; as if performance was suffering somewhere and playback literally slowed down and then sped back to normal again over a few beats.

Finally the iOS app doesn't appear work in the background (iOS 5.1), or at least appeared to die or pause when my iPhone locked itself or something.

These are all annoying, but to charge $25 - and even to charge $10 to existing users just to upgrade to the latest version - is worthy of some serious bad press.

Let's see what happens with the refund request :)

7. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

If all the stuff you want to watch/listen to is in your iTunes libraries just use Home Sharing? :confused:

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

He wants to stream the audio to his iOS device plugged into his speakers, while watching the video on his Mac. Literally, using the iOS device as a wireless receiver for his speakers.

9. roxxette, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

10. genocidecutter macrumors newbie