Send it back?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The United Negro College Fund received the fifth largest donation in its history, $25 million. The problem is that many are wanting them to send it back. You see the donation came from Charles and David Koch, aka The Koch Brothers. University of Pennsylvania profession Marybeth Gasman says that they should reject the money because it is tainted with the Koch Brothers political advocacy which will undermine the interests of African Americans and institutions that support them.

Refusing this donation wouldn't hurt the Koch Brothers, at all. However, it would cut down on the number of scholarships the UNCF can give out. You have to seriously oppose someone to turn down $25 million of their money.

"And we just can't help but wonder. Should we open up her gifts or send them back?" - Elmo and Patsy

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My question would be, is the donation genuine, or just the Koch brothers throwing money around just to say they are nice guys. They could donate to everything in the world and that would not even leave a dent in their bank account. But then they say, look we donated we are not horrible people!

If the donation to the NAACP was because they believe in the cause I say keep the money. If it is just lip service give it back.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

If there are conditions to the donation, then yes send it back. If not, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't dislike the Koch Brothers, I dislike a lot of the things they spend their money on. I can dislike things about a person without disliking the person.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The donation was to the UNCF. Only stipulation published is that it be used for college scholarships.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Then use it.

Seriously.

For all we know, this might be a way that they're turning things around. Maybe one of them had a change of heart and will now look out for the average person. Even if it's not any of that, and just a way to pay less to the Government in taxes, I don't care.

The UNCF is there to help fund college students. 25m helps that goal.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Money is still green and you can still spend it.

7. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I wouldn't care if the Democrats sent me a check signed by Barack Obama himself… I'm spending it. You don't have to agree with a person's politics to spend their money. Especially $25 million.

8. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

iBlazed...we agree for like the 3rd time this month. You are making me doubt my sanity. :)

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wow, I agree too. If it's just free money with no strings attached or no obligations, then take it.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Interesting ..

Going by that logic it would seem to be ok to accept food stamps,welfare checks and other government benefits ..

But it's not ok if someone else gets it.

Anyway imho.

I won't take money from Satan. Neither should what used to be a very good organization.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

But what about the Koch Brothers? You're saying that if they gave you a check for 25,000,000$, and it was a good check, you'd tell them no?

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That is correct. I have beliefs and principles that I will not toss out the window to be rich.

Money ( that much ) means nothing to me.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Which principles stop you from taking it specifically?

14. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Take the money, award scholarships to studies on how money in politics creates political corruption.

Win/win

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Damnit you're cramping my style! :D

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Evil people give to those that accept it. That is dirty money. VERY dirty.

Don't mean to be biblical but :

Satan offered the world to Jesus if he would bow down to him. Jesus refused. Why ?

This is what the Koch Bros. are actually doing. They want people to "bow down" to money.

Keep in mind. Money is not the root of evil. The LOVE of money is.

By accepting their money fully knowing how they are they are in essence bowing down to them.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

As it seems that the money is totally legal, and comes with no strings, I vote keep it.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Except the Koch Brothers aren't asking anybody to bow to them, so your biblical example is bunk.

19. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are a better man than I. If someone writes me a check for $25 million, I'm cashing it.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As long as there are no strings attached, take the damn money. $25 million could pay for a lot of college educations.

21. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The can stick to the ethics and refuse it or they can dance with the devil and cash the check… I'm cashing it. As long as I don't have to commit any major felonies to do it… Maybe just a few misdemeanors would be okay for $25 million.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I see where the conundrum lies. Ethics/morals/political advocacy versus helping kids that may need it. We all see where that is headed. But let's look at it from the other side (read: devil's advocate).

Could we be seeing the thawing of their advocacy, if at least some of it? When you think about it, as staunch as they are in what they stand for, this is a bold and gutsy move that they have done. As you've said, $25 million is like throwing a penny in a pond and making a wish to them, so money isn't a serious problem. But no-one can doubt why they shouldn't be questioned about it. I mean, how truly genuine is this, and why are they doing it?

I would say that while they should take the money, they shouldn't cash it/use it yet. Take the check, hold onto it, question it, and see if they can prove how genuine their generosity really is.

Anyone could offer money; look how bad Jack Nicholson's Joker character was in the 1988 Batman movie, versus the money he and his minions threw out.

BL.

23. FreemanW macrumors 6502

^ ^ ^

You bestow far too much credit upon the Koch's, based on your speculation.

Actions speak all that need be said with regard to the Koch Brothers.

Occam's razor would lead anyone to speculate that the monetary gift was motivated in tax law, and a purely cynical choice . . . . and such speculation would very likely be correct.

24. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Sure, but what would that do to your reputation? Any time you spoke out in favor of something that Obama or the Democrats did, or any time you disagreed with the Republicans, people would say, "that's just the money talking." It wouldn't matter if you truly believed in what you were saying, or if you were truly unaffected by the money. Your views would be entirely discredited.

It's also difficult to say whether or not $25 million wouldn't affect you. We have this issue in the medical profession, where pharmaceutical companies used to be allowed to give doctors gifts of various sorts. It was eventually determined that this shouldn't be permitted, as there was a risk that it was influencing medical judgments... and we're not talking about things with value anywhere near $1 million. I've since read varying opinions from other physicians who have been involved in things like paid speaking engagements for companies, with some claiming that their principles and ethics remain unchanged, while others came to a sudden revelation that their values and actions had slowly shifted over the years to favor those of the drug companies. One could thus claim that there are two groups of people, one of which isn't affected by things like donations and gifts... but it's also possible that group simply doesn't recognize that they're being influenced.